Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Mark's Church

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of WW2 war memorial gates at St Mark's Church, Openwoodgate, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Inscription
Locations
Last known location:
St Mark's Churchyard
Over La
Openwoodgate
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE56 0HW

NGR:
SK 36923 47367 ±3m
Location details:
The church is on the west side of the road and the gates are at the roadside.
Type
Overall type: Gates.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A pair of decorative mild steel gates mounted on stone posts, one of which bears a metal plaque in a recess on its face. The upright oblong plaque bears an incised inscription mainly in upright capital roman letters coloured white.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Gates Mild Steel 1520 2480 50 Fair
Post x2 Sandtone 1400 300 300 Fair
Plaque Metal 220 125 2 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
THESE GATES WERE ERECTED
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY
OF THOSE FROM THIS DISTRICT
WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES
IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 TO 1945
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 18
Number served and returned  0
Total names 18
HARRY ALLDREAD
WILLIAM CHARLES BROSTER
ARTHUR CROFTS
NORMAN CRESSWELL
ALBERT FROGGATT
CLAYTON HORSLEY
ERNEST HOLLAND
LEWIS VINCENT HUNT
FREDERICK ALTON MILWARD
THOMAS WILLIAM NEEDHAM
ROY SANDERS
WILLIAM SIDNEY SEAL
THOMAS WILLIAM SUTTON
CYRIL TAYLOR
ROY TAYLOR
GEORGE THROW
HAROLD EDWARD WESTON
GILBERT ARTHUR WRIGHT
"Greater Love hath no man than this, that
a man lay down his life for his friends"
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Belper Parish Council; Belper Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Belper Town Council; Amber Valley Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
6th November, 1949: The memorial was dedicated by The Rt Rev Dr A E J Rawlinson, Bishop of Derby.

December 2001: The memorial lies within the Buffer Zone of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site which was inscribed in that month.

18th April 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition.
References
Derby Telegraph; 7th November, 1949, p7: a brief report of the dedication service.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson