Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Heanor Urban District - Heanor Memorial Hospital (Lost)

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial hospital at Heanor in Derbyshire, now demolished.
Images
Name Board Setting Hospital Tablet
Locations
Last known location:
Ilkeston Rd (A6007)
Heanor
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE75 7EA

NGR:
SK 43831 46042
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The hospital was on the northeastern side of the road. The tablet was inside on a corridor wall.
Type
Overall type: Hospital.


Overall condition: Lost. 


Description:

Formerly a two-storey brick and tile community hospital in its own grounds, but now demolished. An oblong marble tablet in the original entrance, which later became a corridor, had a cornice at the head, two brackets below, a plain narrow incised border coloured black and an incised inscription in upright capital block lettering coloured black. It is believed that the tablet may be in storage for future installation in replacement premises.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Hospital - - - - Demolishes
Tablet White marble 590 960 c75 Unknown
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THIS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
WAS LAID BY
LADY SMITH OF DUNSTEAD
16TH MAY 1925
TO THE IMMORTAL MEMORY
OF THE BRAVE AND GALLANT MEN
OF THE HEANOR URBAN DISTRICT
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
1914-1918
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
H. BASSFORD. C.C.
C. J. STONE.
CHAIRMAN
TREASURER
R. STODDARD.
W. J. ETHERTON.
JOINT
SECRETARIES

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration
Custodian: Local health authorities.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Heanor Parish Council; Heanor Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Heanor and Loscoe Town Council; Amber Valley Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
February 1919: A public meeting in Heanor decided to join with Langley Mill in providing a cottage hospital as a memorial to the men of the district who fell in the war.

1920s: Land for the hospital was donated by Mr E Miller Mundy of Shipley Hall.

1920s: The hospital was designed by Mr H T Sudbury, architect, of Ilkeston.

4th July 1924: The Heanor Memorial Hospital Committee decided to postpone building work because of rising costs.

18th March 1925: The Heanor Memorial Hospital Committee decided to accept the tender of Mr W. Wood, builder of Heanor, for £3,875.

16th May 1925: The foundation stone was laid by Lady Smith of Dunstead

1920s: Fundraising events and donations continued to benefit the hospital.

1948: The hospital was incorporated into the National Health Service.

27th July 2009: The tablet was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and well cared for.

September 2013: Asbestos was discovered in the heating system during an inspection and the hospital was closed pending further investigations.

October 2014: The decision was taken to demolish the hospital.

14th September 2015: Demolition of the hospital began. It is believed that "memorobilia" had been salvaged and might be relocated in the replacement health centre.
References
Nottingham Evening Post; 24th February 1919, p2: a brief report on the decision to provide a hospital.

Nottingham Evening Post; 5th July 1924, p5: a brief report on the decision to postpone construction.

Nottingham Evening Post; 19th March 1925, p6: a brief report regarding the land, architect and tender.

Derby Telegraph; 30th May 2014: A report on the decision to demolish the hospital.

Ripley and Heanor News; 26th September 2015: A report on the start of demolition of the hospital.

Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson