heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Herbert Strutt School - WW1
Images
Fireplace Main plaque Small plaque
Locations
Last known location:
Strutts Centre
Derby Rd (A6)
Belper
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE56 1UU

NGR:
SK 34682 46962 (±5m)
Location details:
In the main hall of the centre, formerly the Herbert Strutt School.
Type
Overall type: Fireplace.


Overall condition:  Good. The inscription is legible.

Description:

A stone and wooden fireplace with brass plaques. The sandstone base and fireplace have a cast iron grate inset and marks on the front face and on the parquet flooring suggest that it once had a stone hearth or fender. The moulded oak surround has a corbelled mantel bearing a small brass plaque recording the provision of the memorial. The oak overmantel has a plain plinth at the foot, a moulded cornice at the head and three recessed panels at the centre. The large central panel contains an oblong brass plaque with a thin incised border, a badge in relief in a roundel at the head, and an incised inscription above the names in three columns, all in upright capital roman lettering.

Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Fireplace Sandstone
cast iron
oak
1935 1730 460 Good
Plaque Brass 355 650 2 Good
Plaque Brass 20 115 2 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Main plaque:
THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
IN PROUD MEMORY OF
ALLSOP, JOSEPH
BARNETT, RAYMOND T. F.
DAVIS, BERNARD S.
ENTWISTLE, JAMES L.
GOODWIN, GODFREY
GOUGH, JOHN.B .T
HARRISON, JESSE
JONES, MILES
MILES, REGINALD
MILLS, FRED
OUTHWAITE, NOEL
PORTER, SAMUEL
RAISTRICK, JOHN W.
WHERRETT, TOM
WRIGHT, H. GORDON

Small plaque:
ERECTED BY THE
OLD BOYS AND GIRLS ASSOCIATION
AUGUST 1923

Conflicts and people commemorated

Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 15
Number served and returned  0
Total names 15
Administration
Custodians:  The custodians of the memorial are the Guardians of Strutts.

Local Authorities:
After WW1: Belper Parish Council; Belper Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council
Since 1974: Belper Town Council, Amber Valley Borough Council and Derbyshire County Council.
History
1923: The memorial was installed by friends of the fallen.

Unknown date: The school was designated as a grammar school.

1973: The school was reorganised as a middle school.

13th December, 1979: The building was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1349048.

1986: The school was reorganised as a primary school.

December 2001: The building lies within the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site inscribed in that month.

16th July, 2003: The building lies within the Belper and Milford Conservation Area amalgamated on that date.

2007: The school closed and the building became redundant.

Unknown date: The building was taken over and established as a community centre.

22nd June, 2012: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot.
References
The Picture the Past website has a photograph of cadets saluting in front of the fireplace in 1951.

The Picture the Past website has a photograph of the school orchestra playing in front of the fireplace 1961.

The Belper Research website has a partial namelist.
Comments

The first Picture the Past photograph was taken at the opening of the WW2 memorial on 14th February 1951 and includes cadets from the school's Combined Army Cadet Force and Air Cadet Troop.
Page © Roy Branson