Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St John the Baptist's Chapel

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque in St John the Baptist's Chapel, Belper, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St John the Baptist's
 Chapel Heritage Centre
St John's Road
Belper
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE56 1HX

NGR:
SK 35243 47532
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
At the northern end of the east wall.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A wall mounted brass plaque. The nowy-headed oblong plaque has a red monogram of RIP within a thin incised shield at the head and an incised border of alternating black and uncoloured fleurons. The incised inscription is in black capital roman lettering and the names are arranged in two columns.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass 1030 760 5 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
RIP
ERECTED BY MEMBERS
AND FRIENDS OF THIS
CHURCH
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 12 12
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 12 12
  GEORGE BROWN.
  WILLIAM CAUDWELL.
  ERNEST COOPER.
  ORMOND GRATION.
  WM. ALONZO HOLLAND.
  JAMES LIGGETT.
GEORGE MARSH.
WM. HENRY NEEDHAM.
SAML. ARTHUR STONE.
ERNEST TAYLOR.
JOSEPH TAYLOR.
WILLIAM WHEATLEY.
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR GOD AND COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918.
"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS"
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Belper Town Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Belper Parish Council; Belper Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Belper Town Council; Amber Valley Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
3 February 1966: The chapel was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1335668.

1970s: The chapel became redundant and was converted to become the offices of the Belper Town Council and a Heritage Centre.

1975-1992: The chapel lies within the Belper and Milford Conservation area designated and extended during that period.

December 2001: The chapel lies within the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site inscribed on that date.

23rd January, 2013: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson