Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

J A Smith

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial pulpit commemorating J A Smith in St John the Baptist's Chapel, Belper, Derbyshire.
Setting Plaque Next of kin memorial plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Last known location:
St John the Baptist's
 Chapel Heritage Centre
St John's Road
Nearest postcode:
DE56 1HX

SK 35243 47532
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The plaque and next of kin memorial plaque are mounted on a wooden door in the north wall.
Overall type: Pulpit.

Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Originally a panelled wooden pulpit, now lost, with an attached brass plaque. Subsequent to the removal of the pulpit the plaque was mounted on the adjacent door and supplemented by a framed next of kin memorial plaque. The plain oblong plaque has an incised inscription in mixed styles of upright lettering and is mounted on a wooden backboard with moulded borders. It is accompanied by the framed and glazed plaque (Death Penny) awarded to the next of kin of John Afred Smith.


Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Pulpit Wood - - - Lost
Plaque Brass 90 1400 2 Fair
Backboard Wood 130 185 25 Fair
Next of kin
memorial plaque
Bronze 120 dia c5 Fair
Frame Wood, glass, card 255 205 20 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
In loving memory of
who fell in action
in the Great War
11th December 1917
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Custodian: Presumed to be Belper Town Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Belper Parish Council; Belper Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Belper Town Council; Amber Valley Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
c1922: The pulpit was donated by Mr and Mrs J A Smith in memory of their son.

3 February 1966: The chapel was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1335668.

1970s: The chapel became redundant and was converted to become the offices of the Belper Town Council and a Heritage Centre. It is presumed that the pulpit was removed at that time, and the plaque transferred to the adjacent door.

1975-1992: The chapel lies within the Belper and Milford Conservation area designated and extended during that period.

December 2001: The chapel lies within the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site inscribed on that date.

23rd January, 2013: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson