heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
St Lawrence's Church - Cross
Images
Setting Memorial 6oclock 9oclock 12oclock 3oclock
Locations
Last known location:
St Lawrence's
 Churchyard
Market St (A6007)
Heanor
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE75 7NR

NGR:
SK 43554 46439
From online digital mapping.
Location details:
West of the church, about half way between the gate and the tower..
Type
Overall type: Cross.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.

Description:

A white limestone wheel cross on a battered pedestal and two step base. The 6 o’clock face of the cross and shaft is decorated in the Anglo-Saxon style with roundels and bosses and with intertwined strapwork, fishes and reptiles, all in relief. The inscription is inlaid in upright capital block lettering, the dedication reading anticlockwise continuously around the head of the pedestal, the names in two or three columns on each face below, and the quotation on the 6 o'clock face of top step. Two small tablets have subsequently been added to the 6 o'clock face of the bottom step, each bearing a further incised name in upright capital block lettering infilled in black.

Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Cross Limestone 3450 950 240 Good
Pedestal Limestone 770 1260 960 Good
Base Limestone 250 3140 2720 Good
Tablet Limestone c125 c250 c20 Good
Tablet Limestone c125 c250 c20 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Anticlockwise around head of pedestal:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN
OF HEANOR PARISH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE
GREAT WAR 1914-1919
6 o'clock face of pedestal:
ANTCLIFFE A.
ANTHONY B.
BANCROFT T. H.
BARKES J. R.
BASSFORD J.
BATTISON H.
BEARDSLEY H.
BENSON T. H.
BENTLEY W. C.
BERESFORD T. A.
BIBBS E. J. B.
BINCH G. E.
BIRKUMSHAW J.
BIRCH C. H.
BLANCHARD E.
BOOTH T.
BRENTNALL J. G.
BROCKLESBY F.
BROWN C.
BROWN B. E.
BROWN S.
BROWN L.
BUNTING W. H.
BURROWS T.
BUXTON J. H.
CARELESS J. T.
CARLIN SCOTT
CARLIN STEPHEN
CARLIN H.
CATTLE J. H. N.
CATTLE E. S.
COPE T. W.
CRUMPTON T.
DAKIN G.
DAVEY S.
DAVEY T. H.
DAVENPORT W.
DOGGATT J.
DUNN F. W.
EARNSHAW W.
ELLIS A. E.
FARNSWORTH P.
FARNSWORTH M.
FARNSWORTH S.
FLETCHER C. L.
FLORY W.
FOGG J. J.
FOWKES W.
FOWKES J.
FOWLER H.
[F]RETWELL E.
9 o'clock face of pedestal:
SIDDONS T.
SMITH G. W.
SMITH H. W.
SMITH F. R.
SMITH W.
SLATER F.
STATHAM L.
STAFFORD J. W.
STODDARD R. C.
STUBLEY C.
SUTTON J. W.
TEBBUTT J.
THORNHILL W.
TURNER W.
WADKINSON G. S.
WAIN E.
WALKER H.
WALKER W. H.
WATSON J.
WEST H.
WESTON J.
WHITNEY W. H.
WILSHIRE L. S.
WILCOCKSON J.
WILCOCKSON G.
WOOD A.
WOOD J.
WOOD H.
WRIGHT C. S.
WRIGHT W.
WRIGHT W. H.
WYLD H.
YATES H.
12 o'clock face of pedestal:
KI[R]K H. H.
KNIGHT [G].
KNIGHT J.
LACEY L.
LAMBERT F.
LEIVERS G.
LOCKTON P. E.
LOCKTON T. H.
LOMAX G. F.
LUKER F.
MARTIN N. A.
MARTIN A.
MARTIN H.
MARTIN J.
MARTIN S.
MARRON A.
MARSHALL H.
MA[RS]HALL G. W.
MA[RS]H W.
MAR[S]H S. H.
MAS[T]ERMAN J. H.
MAY J. S.
MEAKIN S.
MEE J.
MILES E.
MOUSLEY R.
MORGAN F. W.
MUFFETT E. W.
MUSSON H.
MUSSON W.
NELSON A.
NOON A.
NORTH J. W.
[O'BRIEN] H. E.
OLDERSHAW F. R.
OLDERSHAW C.
PLACE W. A.
POOLE A.
POTTER A.
PRICE J.
RAWSON R.
RILEY T.
SAXTON W.
SAXTON J.
SCRATON F.
SHARLEY W.
SHELTON R.
SHERLOCK G.
3 o'clock face of pedestal:
FRETWELL H.
FROGGATT R.
GAUNT H.
GILLOTT J. W. B.
GILLOTT W.
GILBERT T.
GILDER W.
GREGG T.
HAMBLETON T.
HARRISON L.
HARDY G.
HAWKINS B.
HICKLING A.
HILL J. G.
HINGLEY M.
HOLMES R.
HOLMES ALBERT.
HOLMES W.
HOLMES ARTHUR
HOLYLAND J.
HOLYLAND C.
HOLLIS J.
HONEY C.
HONEY G.
HORSLEY J. E.
[H]OUSLEY J. W.
HUNT A. B.
HUTCHINSON E.
HUTCHINSON W.
JUDGE J.
KEELING A. E.
KEW A. W.
KEY W. J.
KINGDOM W.
6 o'clock face of base:
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
BACON S  SMITH T H
[Some letters are missing or damaged; some full stops are missing after initials.]

Conflicts and people commemorated

Conflict First Word War (1914-1919)
Number died 168
Number served and returned  0
Total names 168
Administration
Custodians:Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council.

Local Authorities:
From WW1: Heanor Parish Council; Heanor Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Heanor and Loscoe Town Council; Amber Valley Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
27th July, 2009: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition.

Summer 2014: The memorial was cleaned and two new tablets, each bearing one additional name, were attached to the base of the cross shaft.

June or July 2015: The two new tablets, previously attached to the base of the cross shaft, were removed and reattached to the lower step of the base.

13th July, 2015: The memorial was rephotographed by Roy Branson. It was in good condition.
References
Comments
Page © Roy Branson