Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Bolsover Primitive Methodist Church

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 and WW2 war memorial commemorating the fallen from Bolsover Primitive Methodist Church and now at Bolsover Methodist Church.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Bolsover Methodist Church
Hill Top (B6419)
Bolsover
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S44 6NG

NGR:
SK 47319 70661
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial is on the north wall inside the church.

Previous location:
Bolsover Primitive Methodist
 Church (demolished)
Welbeck Rd
Town End
Bolsover
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S44 6BZ

NGR:
SK 47596 70456
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The site is now occupied by the Pegasus Court residential development.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

Originally an oblong brass plaque in a wooden frame and commemorating the fallen of WW1. The plaque has a twin-line incised border infilled with foliage and cross motifs and has an incised inscription in upright capital decorative lettering with names in two columns. The border, motifs and inscription are infilled in black. The oaken frame has an overlapping curved design.

Subsequently a shaped oaken backboard was added below bearing a further brass plaque which has an incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering with a single name for WW2. The maker's name is incised in the lower right corner.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass 610 750 - Fair
Frame Oak 820 955 50 Fair
Plaque Brass 75 355 2 Fair
Backboard Oak 120 990 15 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Upper plaque: 1914 - 1918
REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING
THE TRUE AND FAITHFUL MEN
WHO IN THESE YEARS OF WAR WENT FORTH FROM THIS CHURCH
FOR GOD AND THE RIGHT.
THE NAMES OF THOSE WHO RETURNED NOT AGAIN
ARE HERE INSCRIBED
TO BE HONOURED FOR EVERMORE.
  FRANK BUCKLEY
  JOSEPH GREGORY
  FRANK GOODWIN
  HAROLD PRATER
G. HARRY SHAW
JNO. BERESFORD
STANLEY GUEST
THOS. CROFTS
THOS. LEE

Lower plaque: 1939 - 1945
LT. JOHN CLIFFORD GINNEVER
SOUTH STAFFS REGIMENT
22ND. APRIL 1945

Lower right corner of lplaque: F. OSBORNE & CO LTD London. W.C.1.

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action
Number died 9 1 10
Number served and returned 0 0  0
Total names 9 1 10
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the managers of the church

Local authorities:
From WW1: Bolsover Parish Council; Bolsover Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Old Bolsover Town Council; Bolsover District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
1920-21: The plaque was made by F. Osborne & Co Ltd of London and initially installed in the Primitive Methodist Church.

13th February, 1921: The memorial was unveiled by Mr Barnet Kenyon MP and dedicated by Rev W T Cole, circuit minister.

1940s: The WW2 components were added.

c1973: The Primitive Methodist Church closed and the memorial was removed to the Wesleyan Methodist Church.

17th July, 1971: The Wesleyan Methodist Church lies within the Bolsover Conservation Area first designated on that date.

1974: The Primitive Methodist Church was demolished and the site subsequently redeveloped.

Unknown dates: The Wesleyan Methodist Church was renamed the Trinity Methodist Church and subsequently the Bolsover Methodist Church.

2nd February, 2017: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derbyshire Courier, 19th February 1921, p4 col7: a report on the unveiling of the original memorial.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson