Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

H Smedley

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial window commemorating Henry Smedley at Bolsover Methodist Church.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Bolsover Methodist Church
Hill Top (B6419)
Bolsover
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S44 6NG

NGR:
SK 47319 70661
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial is in the chancel, to the right of the altar.
Type
Overall type: Window.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A single-light stained glass window in a lancet opening. The light has a trefoil head and depicts a biblical scene with the inscription in a panel at the foot. It is accompanied by a small quatrefoil pane and two semicircular panes at the head. The maker's name is at the bottom right corner of the main scene.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Window (opening) Stained glass, stone c1700 560 - Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Foot of main light:
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
IN LOVING MEMORY OF HENRY SMEDLEY WHO WAS
KILLED WHILST SERVING IN HIS MAJESTIES FORCES
IN FRANCE ON SEPTEMBER 16TH. 1916 AGED 24 YEARS.
THIS WINDOW WAS ERECTED BY HIS PARENTS.
Lower right corner of main scene:
KAYLL & REED
LEEDS
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the managers of the church

Local authorities:
From WW1: Bolsover Parish Council; Bolsover Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Old Bolsover Town Council; Bolsover District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
1920-21: The window was made by Kayll & Reed of Leeds.

27th March, 1921: The memorial was unveiled by Mr H Stocks and dedicated by Rev H W Fuller.

17th July, 1971: The Wesleyan Methodist Church lies within the Bolsover Conservation Area first designated on that date.

Unknown dates: The Wesleyan Methodist Church was renamed the Trinity Methodist Church and subsequently the Bolsover Methodist Church.

2nd February, 2017: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derbyshire Courier, 19th March 1921, p9: a report on the forthcoming provision of the memorial.

Derbyshire Courier, 2nd April 1921, p3: a report on the unveiling and dedication of the memorial.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson