heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Employees of Stanton Ironworks
Images
Setting Memorial
Locations
Last known location:
Pleasley Miners Welfare
 Social Club
Chesterfield Rd
Pleasley
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG19 7PD

NGR:
SK 50206 64365 ±5m
Location details:
There are at least four Chesterfield Roads in this locality This is the southern section of the old road (not the A617) near the junction with Park View. The memorial is inside the club building.
Type
Overall type: Roll of Honour.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.

Description:

A framed and glazed roll of honour. The decoration at the head has crossed flags over a colliery winding wheel with lettering in coloured upright roman capitals. The plain border has a rose at each corner and the names are written in black lower case calligraphy with rubricated initials, arranged in ten columns. The frame is of wooden moulding with perspex glazing.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Roll of Honour Paper 1060 660 - Good
Frame Wood, Perspex 1220 810 c25 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
1914 1918
PLEASLEY
ROLL OF HONOUR
EMPLOYEES OF THE STANTON IRONWORKS COMPANY LIMITED
(Names)
NON-EMPLOYEES OF THE STANTON IRONWORKS COMPANY LIMITED
(Names)

Because of the large number of names on this memorial they are presented in the following groups:

Employees
columns 1 - 5
Alcock - Jackson

Employees
columns 6 - 10
Jackson - Wylde

Non-employees
columns 1 - 5
Abbott - Lingham

Non-employees
columns 6 - 10
Lomas - Wyles

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died Not distinguished.
Number served and returned Not distinguished.
Total names 850
Administration
Custodian: Unknown.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Pleasley Parish Council; Blackwell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Pleasley Parish Council; Bolsover District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
11th February, 1987: The building lies within the Pleasley Village Conservation Area first designated on that date.

18th August, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition.
References
Comments
The Stanton Ironworks Company owned Pleasley Colliery until nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947.
Page © Roy Branson