Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Hodthorpe Pals Association - Plaque 1

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque commemorating the Hodthorpe Pals Association, now in Hodthorpe Club, Hodthorpe, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Hodthorpe Club
147 Queens Rd
Hodthorpe
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S80 4UP

NGR:
SK 54324 76520
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
On the wall in the snooker room.

Previous location:
St Martin's Church
 (demolished)
King St
Hodthorpe
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S80 4UY

NGR:
SK 54177 76573
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Inside the church.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A wall-mounted oblong brass plaque with a broad incised border comprising twin lines with a repeated leaf motif between them, all coloured black. The incised inscription is in upright capital roman lettering, also coloured black. The names are arranged in two columns but the right column has one less name and the last space is filled by three incised fleurons. However, a further name is located centrally below the two columns and by its style appears to have been added after the others, although all were included by the time of the unveiling.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass 505 610 2 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
HODTHORPE "PALS" ASSOCIATION
IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN IN THE
GREAT WAR 1914-1919.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 26 26
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 26 26
 T. H. BINCH.
 J. BUTTERFIELD
 W. COOPER.
 T. GASCOYNE.
 H. HAWKINS
 W. HEWKIN.
 A. KIRK.
 E. KITCHEN.
 H. ELLIS.
 M. LEE.
 R. MORRIS.
 W. NORTON.
 J. L. GODLEY.
G. PARKER.
H. RODGERS.
W. A. SMITH, M.M.
T. STANSBURY.
H. SQUIRES.
L. SQUIRES.
S. STORY.
H. SWANN.
F. WATKINS.
J. WHITE.
A. WILKINSON.
J. W. WILKINSON.
J. H. ALLCOCK.
H. T. ROBERTS. 
HON. SEC. 
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the club management committee.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Whitwell Parish Council; Clowne Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Whitwell Parish Council; Bolsover District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 2012: Hodthorpe and Belph Parish Council; Bolsover District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
7th August, 1920: The plaque was unveiled and dedicated by the Ven Archdeacon Crosse, rector of Whitwell, in St Martin's Church. It was reported to bear all 26 names.

1991: St Martin's Church closed and was subsequently demolished.

After 1991: The plaque was remounted in the Hodthorpe Club.

22nd October, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Anne Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derbyshire Courier, 14th August 1920, p6: a report on the unveiling ceremony.

Derbyshire Times, 14th August 1920, p5: a report on the unveiling ceremony.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson