heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Airborne Forces
Images
Setting Whole Plaque
Locations
Last known location:
North Orchard
Hardwick Hall
Hodmire La
Ault Hucknall
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S44 5QL

NGR:
SK 46235 63940
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
Near the western wall.

Previous location:
Near the lakes
Hardwick Hall
Un-named lane
Hardstoft
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S44 5QJ

NGR:
SK 55639 45585
(Estimated)
Location details:
It is believed that the memorial was originally located near the lakes to the east of the un-named lane between Stainsby and Hardstoft and was moved to the North Orchard (which was then a car park) about 2004.
Type
Overall type:  Plaque


Overall condition: Good.  The inscription is legible.


Description:

An upright, oblong bronze plaque on a freestanding roughly hewn sandstone boulder. The plaque has a narrow plain raised border, the badge of the British Airborne Forces at the head (Bellepheron astride the winged horse Pegasus) and the inscription is in raised upright capital roman lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Bronze 920 610 35 Good
Boulder Sandstone 1400 1250 700 Good
Dimensions in millimetres unless stated otherwise, ±5mm.
Inscription
AIRBORNE FORCES
1941-1946
BESIDE THE LAKES WEST OF HARDWICK HALL
THERE WAS AN ARMY CAMP WHERE IN 1941
EARLY PIONEERS OF THE BRITISH AIRBORNE
FORCES FORMED THE 1ST PARACHUTE BRIGADE.
FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WAR
HARDWICK WAS THE DEPOT AND SCHOOL
OF AIRBORNE FORCES WHERE VOLUNTEERS
FROM BRITAIN AND HER ALLIES RECEIVED
SPECIALISED TRAINING TO FORM THE
BRITISH AIRBORNE DIVISIONS AND OTHER
SPECIAL OPERATIONAL UNITS.
REMEMBER WITH GRATITUDE THOSE
WHO PASSED THROUGH THESE GROUNDS AND
GAVE THEIR LIVES SO THAT WE MAY NOW
ENJOY THE BEAUTY AND PEACE OF THIS LAND
AD UNUM OMNES.


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration
Custodian:
The National Trust

Local Authorities:
Before 1974: Ault Hucknall Parish Council, Blackwell Rural District Council, Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Ault Hucknall Parish Council, Bolsover District Council, Derbyshire County Council.
History
1986: Originally installed.

February, 2004: Reported as having been removed for restoration.

6th August, 2009: Surveyed in the North Orchard by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot.
References
An account of the memorial's original provision and subsequent removal can be found in this discussion

This Geograph page has a photograph of the memorial in the North Orchard.

The National Trust's war memorials can be explored on this map.
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson