Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Pte C G Shaw

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial tablet in Christ Church graveyard, Stonegravels, Chesterfield, commemorating Pte C G Shaw.
Images
Setting Plot Tablet Click in a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Christ Church graveyard
Sheffield Rd (B6057)
Stonegravels
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S41 7JH

NGR:
SK 38498 72295 ±5m
Location details:
The church is at the rear of the Parish Centre. The memorial is at the western end of the graveyard opposite the main entrance to the church.
Type
Overall type: Tablet


Overall condition: Fair The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A freestanding limestone tablet in the style of a CWGC headstone. The badge of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment is carved in relief within a roundel at the head and a cross is incised towards the foot. The inscription is incised in upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet Limestone 830 380 80 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
BURIED ELSEWHERE
IN THIS CHURCHYARD
1853 PRIVATE
C. G. SHAW
NOTTS. & DERBY REGIMENT
7TH JULY 1916 AGE 22
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Administration
Custodian: CWGC

Local authorities:
From WW1: Chesterfield Parish Council; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: (Unparished); Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
14th September, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Anne Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
For many years the location of Pte Shaw's unmarked grave was unknown, but by 2016 it had recently been identified near the northwest corner of the church and a wooden cross had been added to it.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson