Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Polish Ex-Combatants' Association

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial flag in Chesterfield Museum at the Stephenson Memorial Hall, Chesterfield, commemorating Section 415 of the Polish Ex-Combatants' Association.
Images
Setting Flag Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Chesterfield Museum and
 Art Gallery
Stephenson Memorial Hall
St Mary's Gate (B6543)
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S41 7TD

NGR:
SK 38563 71226 ±5m
Location details:
The museum is at the junction with Corporation St. and Holywell St. The plaque is in a display cabinet above the door in the room towards the back of the museum.
Type
Overall type: Flag.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A flag comprising the formal standard of Section 415 of the Polish Ex-Combatants' Association. The standard is hand embroidered on silk and the side on display shows a crowned eagle at the centre, part of the Polish coat of arms, surrounded by a laurel wreath. A white cross surrounds the eagle and shows the date of Remembrance Day (11th November) and the Polish national motto 'Bog Honor Ojczyzna' (God Honour Country). Also depicted are Chesterfield Parish Church and the Nike Monument in Warsaw, dedicated to the war heroes of the city. The standard is accompanied by a silver crowned eagle staff finial and displayed in a glazed wooden case.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Flag Silk c1000 c1000 - Fair
Finial Metal c250 c250 c100 Fair
Case Wood, glass c1500 c1500 c300 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[None]
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
* Unknown
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Chesterfield Borough Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Chesterfield Parish Council; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
1974: The flag was hand-made.

1st December, 1974: The flag was dedicated at a local church service.

9th August, 1976: Stephenson Hall was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1334684.

November, 1976: The Stephenson Hall lies within the Town Centre Conservation Area first designated in that month.

9th September, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Anne Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
The flag represents the contribution made by Polish people during WW2, many of whom settled in the Chesterfield area. The flag was carried on many occasions, in England and Poland, between 1974 and 2003, when the association last met.

Adjacent interpretation cards explain the background to the flag.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson