Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Birdholme

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial crucifix in St Augustine's Churchyard, Birdholme, Chesterfield.
Images
Setting Crucifix Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Augustine's Churchyard
Derby Rd (A61)
Birdholme
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE4 4DE

NGR:
SK 38372 69773 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the lawn, near the northeast corner of the church.
Type
Overall type: Crucifix.


Overall condition: Very poor. The inscription is illegible and the memorial is very eroded.

Description:

A limestone crucifix on an oblong base. The wheel cross has a tapered shaft with a recessed panel on the face bearing, at the head, a sculptored figure of Christ and, at the foot, an inscription in upright sentence-case lettering in relief. The crucifix surmounts an oblong two-stepped base.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Crucific Limestone 1760 630 175 Very poor
Base Limestone 470 680 490 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[Erected
in memory] of
[those who] fell
[during]
[the Great] War
[1914 - 1918]
[... in Peace]

[The inscription is very eroded, barely
legible and almost lost.]
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Chesterfield Parish Council; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
15th August, 1920: The memorial was unveiled and dedicated by Canon Shaw

25th January 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in very poor condition: both the figure and the inscription had been seriously eroded, the latter being barely legible.
References
Derbyshire Courier, 21st August 1920, p5: a report on the unveiling and dedication ceremony.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson