Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Staff of London County Westminster and Parrs Bank

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque commemorating members of staff of the former London County Westminster and Parrs Bank at Glumangate, Chesterfield.
Images
Setting Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Natwest Bank
Chesterfield Branch
Glumangate
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S40 1TW

NGR:
SK 38190 71138
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Although the postal address of the bank is 5A Market Place, the memorial is in the first floor banking hall for which the entrance is from Glumangate.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A wall-mounted oblong bronze plaque with a raised moulded border. Within the plaque is a panel with similar raised moulded border and containing the inscription in raised upright capital roman lettering. Below the panel are the names, in a single column, also in raised upright capital roman lettering. The plaque is located below a similar WW1 memorial.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Bronze 460 570 15 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING
MEMBERS OF THE STAFF OF THIS
BRANCH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
WILLIAM E. FORD
FREDERICK C. HOOLEY
JOHN E. KEENE
HERBERT LEWIS
CHARLES E. MANSHIP
JOSEPH B. MILLWARD
GERALD STANWAY
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 7 7
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 7 7
Administration
Custodian: Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc

Local authorities:
From WW1: Chesterfield Parish Council; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; Chesterfield Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
c1920: The memorial was made by the Birmingham Guild and is presumed to have been installed in the banking hall of the former bank building.

1923: The bank name was changed to Westminster Bank.

1968: The Westminster and National Provincial Banks merged to become the National Westminster Bank Ltd, or NatWest.

c1970: The bank is believed to have been rebuilt on the same site and the memorial installed in the ground floor banking hall.

2000: NatWest became a subsidiary of the holding company The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc.

Unknown date: The bank was refurbished and the memorial reinstalled in the first floor banking hall.

9th September, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Anne Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson