Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Toc H (Lost)

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial well dressing at Coldwell End, Youlgrave or Youlgreave, Derbyshire, commemorating the Toc H organisation.
Images

Well dressing
Locations

Last known location:
Roadside
Coldwell End
Youlgrave or Youlgreave, Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE45 1WB

NGR:
SK 20629 64073
(Estimated from online digital mapping.)
Location details: On the northern side of the road.
Type

Overall type: Well dressing.


Overall condition: Lost


Description:

A temporary well dressing tableau made from flowers and other vegetation pressed into clay held in a wooden frame. The dressing was of the triptych style with a recessed central panel, two narrow side panels, a pedimented top and a three-panel base. The three main panels carried a depiction of a map of northwest Europe with an image of Talbot House and the date 1916 superimposed. The three base panels depicted, from left to right, a naval signaller, a group of soldiers recuperating and medical services.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Mosaic Clay,
plant material
c2000 c1200 c50 Lost
Frame Wood c2000 c1200 c50 Unknown
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

1926 2016
TOC H
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Administration

Custodian: Not known.

Local authorities:
Youlgreave Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History

Spring 2016: The memorial was planned, designed and constructed by members of the local community.

25th June 2016: The memorial was blessed by the local clergy.

25th June 2015: The memorial was displayed from 25th to 30th June 2016.

27th June 2015: The memorial was dismantled and the components salvaged for future use.
References

Well dressing details are available from the welldressing.com site run by Glyn Williams.
Comments


The Toc H organisation was founded in 1915 in Talbot House, Poperinge, Belgium by army chaplain Rev Phillip Clayton. It originally provided recuperation facilities for troops withdrawn from the front and later expanded into an an international military welfare service.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson