heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Bakewell and District - Memorial Cottage Hospital
Images
Building Porch Gable tablet Arch tablet Porch
Porch tablet Tablet head Tablet foot Ashford names Bakewell and Over Haddon names A-F Hover
for
descriptions.
Bakewell and Over Haddon names F-T Bakewell and Over Haddon names T-W Baslow and Bubnell names Beeley names Curbar, Calver and Froggatt names
Edensor names A-C Edensor names C-S Eyam names Longstone, Hassop and Wardlow names Monyash names Hover
for
descriptions.
Rowsley and Sheldon names Stanton and Birchover names Stoney Middleton names Youlgrave and Middleton names Silver trowel
Locations
Last known location:
Bakewell Cottage
  Nursing Home
Butts Rd
Bakewell
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE45 1EB

NGR:
SK 21703 68298 (From online digital mapping)
Location details:
By 2014 the building had become a nursing home.
Type
Overall type:  Building.


Overall condition: Good. The inscriptions are legible.

Description:

Originally a single storey stone and tile hospital with a stone tablet in the gable, a decorative tablet over the door in the style of a wreath on cloth background, and a memorial tablet inside the porch. The memorial tablet comprises a brown mottled alabaster frame containing white marble tiles divided into panels by yellow glass tesserae. The top and bottom panels contain the inscription and four central columns contain the names arranged into 17 village groups. The inscription is painted in black upright capital roman lettering. The building later became used as a nursing home.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Building Stone, tile - - - Good
Tablet Stone c800 c1000 - Good
Tablet Stone c800 dia - Good
Tablet White marble, glass 1755 910 - Good
Frame Alabaster 1905 1070 30 Good
Dimensions in millimetres unless stated otherwise, ±5mm.
Inscription
Tablet on gable: BAKEWELL AND DISTRICT
WAR MEMORIAL
COTTAGE HOSPITAL.

Tablet over door: 1922

Memorial tablet in porch: WITH DEEP GRATITUDE FOR THEIR SACRIFICE THIS HOSPITAL
IS ERECTED AS A LASTING MEMORIAL TO THE MEN FROM
BAKEWELL & THE ADJACENT PARISHES WHO SERVING
IN DIVERS RANKS & IN EVERY BRANCH OF HIS MAJESTY’S
FORCES GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR

(Names)

“THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US BOTH BY NIGHT AND DAY”

Silver trowel: PRESENTED TO
His Grace
the Duke of Rutland,
K.G. & P.G.W.(Eng.)
ON THE OCCASION OF HIS LAYING
THE MEMORIAL STONE
OF THE
BAKEWELL & DISTRICT
MEMORIAL COTTAGE HOSPITAL.
AUGUST 7TH.. 1920.


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 263
Number served and returned  0
Total names 263
Administration
Custodians: Not known.

Local Authorities:
Before 1974: Bakewell Parish Council, Bakewell Rural District Council and Derbyshire County Council.
After 1974: Bakewell Town Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council and Derbyshire County Council.
History
c1919-1920: The land was donated by the Duke of Rutland.

May, 1920: The first sod was cut on the site.

7th August, 1920: The foundation stone was laid by Mr N J Hughes-Hallett, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and the Duke and Duchess of Rutland.

c1920: The hospital was constructed at a cost of c£13000 including endowments..

17th April, 1951: The building lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date.

Unknown date: The hospital was closed and the building became used as a nursing home.

8th April, 2010: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot.

8th April, 2010: There was slight chipping to top left corner of alabaster frame.
References
17th June, 1920: Derby Telegraph, p2, a brief announcement of the forthcoming foundation stone laying.

24th June, 1920: Derby Telegraph, p2, a slightly more detailed announcement of the forthcoming foundation stone laying.

Aspects of Dales' Life Through Peace and War; Keith Taylor; ISBN 978 1 901214 89 5; Ashbridge Press/Country Books, Bakewell, 2007.
Comments
A silver trowel with incised inscription was presented to the Duke of Rutland when he laid the foundation stone. In 2014 it was displayed in the museum at Haddon Hall.
Page © Roy Branson