heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
St Michael the Archangel's Church
Images
Setting Memorial Inscription
Locations
Last known location:
St Michael the
 Archangel's
  Churchyard
Main Rd (A6187)
Hathersage
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S32 1BB

NGR:
SK 22935 81553
±5m
Location details:
On the western side of the drive between the gates and the church.
Type
Overall type: Crucifix.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.

Description:

A canopied crucifix on a stone base. The wooden cross bears a bronze life-size figure of Christ with a label above and is surmounted by a wooden and slate canopy. The lower step of the two-stepped base is of irregular stone blocks with mortared joints and the upper step is of coursed ashlar. An inclined stone tablet on the front of the base has an incised inscription in upright and sloping capital lettering coloured black.

Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Cross Wood 3200 1450 70 Good
Figure Bronze 1200 1150 200 Good
Canopy Wood, slate 950 1600 70 Good
Base Stone 1350 1250 1500 Good
Tablet Stone 520 690 100 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
IN MEMORY
OF ALL SOLDIERS AND SAILORS
WHO HAVE FALLEN IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 — 1919
MAY THEY REST IN PEACE.
ERECTED BY THE CATHOLIC CONGREGATION
AND FRIENDS
1939 — 1945

Conflicts and people commemorated

Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Administration
Custodians: Presumed to be the church authorities.

Local Authorities:
From WW1: Hathersage Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Hathersage Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
17th April, 1951: The memorial lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date>

24th April, 1981: The memorial lies within the Hathersage Conservation Area first designated on that date.

1990: Encroaching weeds were removed.

15th April, 2015: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in good condition but moss was encroaching on the tablet and the inscription was becoming obscured by lichen.
References
 —
Comments
 —
Page © Roy Branson