heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
St Michael and All Angels' Church – WW2 Window
Images
Window Left light Right light
Locations
Last known location:
St Michael and
 All Angels' Church
Church Bank
Hathersage
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S32 1AJ

NGR:
SK 23415 81860
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
In the east wall of the chancel.

Previous location:
St James and
 St Johns' Church
Un-named road
Derwent
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S33 0AQ

NGR:
SK 18470 88527
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
In the east wall of the chancel. The window was removed from St James and St Johns' Church when it was demolished prior to the flooding of the village for construction of Ladybower Reservoir. The window was subsequently re-erected in St Michael and All Angels' Church at Hathersage and became a war memorial after WW2.
Type
Overall type: Window


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A three-light stained glass pointed arch window with reticulated tracery over the ogee headed lights. The left light contains a panel depicting St James and annotated Stus Jacobus, with a roundel near the foot containing a shield bearing a scallop shell. The centre light illustrates the crucifixion annotated Spes unica and with a scene of foliage and doves near the foot. The right light contains a panel depicting St John and annotated Stus Johannes, with a roundel near the foot containing a shield bearing an image. All three lights have borders of coloured panels and a plain frieze runs across the foot of all three lights bearing the inscription in black upright sentence case gothic lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Window Stained glass c6000 c3000 - Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Head of
left light:
Incarnatus

Head of
centre light:

Crucifixus

Head of
right light:

Resurrexit

Across the
foot of all
three lights:

This window, formerly in the daughter Church of Ss James and John, Derwent is inserted here by the people of Hathersage as a
Thankoffering for the end of the war and for the safe return of their relatives and friends. Anno Domini 1939 - 1945


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration
Custodian: -

Local Authorities:
In the original location, prior to WW2: Derwent Parish Council; Chapel en le Frith Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council
In the new location, after WW2: Hathersage Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council
Since 1974: Hathersage Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
Unknown date: The window has glass by Charles Eamer Kempe.

c1943: The window was removed from St James and St Johns' Church at Derwent.

1948: The window was installed in St Michael and All Angels' Church at Hathersage.

12 July 1967: The church was listed Grade I, Heritage List for England reference 1109793, this memorial is included in the listing description.

17th April, 1951 The church lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date.

22nd October, 2009: The memorial was recorded by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot.

11th March, 2011: The church lies within the Hathersage Conservation Area adopted on that date.
References
Hallam, Vic; Silent Valley; Sheaf Publishing, 1989, ISBN 0950545899, contains an account of the construction of Ladybower Dam, the flooding of Derwent and Ashopton villages, the demolition of the church and the removal of the window.

Pevsner, Nicolaus, revised by Williamson, Elizabeth; Derbyshire (in the Buildings of England series); Penguin Books 1998; ISBN 0140710086; p240. The window is briefly mentioned.
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson