Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Elton Reform Chapel

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial window at the former Elton Reform Chapel, Elton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Private residence
 (former Reform Chapel)
Main St
Elton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE4 2BW

NGR:
SK 22252 60918
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
In the east gable.
Type
Overall type: Window.


Overall condition: Fair. The memorial is cared for.


Description:

A single-light circular stained glass window. The annular outer borders contain the beginning of the inscription which is continued on a long ribbon folded against a blue central background. The inscription on the borders and scroll is in red upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Window Stained glass c900 dia - Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Upper border
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
[... ...] OF GOD
Central ribbon:
AND IN
LOVING MEMORY
OF THE MEN
1914-1918
Lower border:
OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL & SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR

[Beginning of inscription not known.]
Administration
Custodian: Not known

Local authorities:
From WW1: Elton Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Elton Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
c1921: The window was installed.

17th April, 1951: The building lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date.

1994: The chapel closed and the building became a private residence.

15th October, 2009: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
The building has variously been known as the Ebenezer Chapel, Wesleyan Chapel and Wesleyan Reform Chapel.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson