Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Rose Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church Memorial Recreation Ground

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial recreation ground in Littleover for the Rose Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church.
Images

Entrance Grounds Setting Roll
Locations

Last known location:
Tea Hut
Rosehill Methodist
 Memorial Sports Ground
Littleover Lane
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 6JL

NGR:
SK 33717 33804 ±5m
Location details:
On the northeast wall.
Type

Overall type: Recreation ground.


Overall condition: Fair. The associated inscription is legible.

Description:

A sports ground with associated facilities and a roll of honour. The land extends to about 2 ha and is laid out to include a cricket pitch, bowling green and hard tennis courts, with associated pavilions, tea hut, car park and entrance sign board. The roll of honour is displayed in the tea hut and has a broad hand-painted border containing swirls and other patterns with an intricate RHM monogram at the head and a depiction of the church building at the foot. The headings are upright capital roman lettering coloured in reds, blues and golds, and the inscription is in black calligraphy with selected letters in blue.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Sports ground Land - c2 ha - Fair
Buildings Various - - - Fair
Roll of honour Paper 465 365 - Fair
Frame Wood, glass 510 400 30 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
ROSE HILL WESLEYAN
METHODIST CHURCH
MEMORIAL RECREATION
GROUND
This Ground is provided for the use of
those associated with the above Church
in memory of the following who laid down
their lives in the Great World Crisis
1914-1919.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 21
Number served and returned  0
Total names 21
    ALLABARTON F.
    BLOTT W.
    CARTWRIGHT R. S.
    CHATTERTON S. V.
    CORDEN A.
    CURRY R.
    DYCHE W.
    FOULDS A. P.
    HARDY H.
    KAULFUSS A. E.
KEELING R. J.
LAXTON W.
MANN A.
McCARTEN W. J. D.
McINTYRE D. W.
SANDERS H. W.
SHAW T. H.
SHELTON T. C.
SHENTON F. H.
WARD J.
     WEBB J. J.     
"Seeing we are compassed about with
so great a cloud of witnesses ... let us run
with patience the race that is set before us."
Administration

Custodian: Rosehill Methodist Sports Club.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Littleover Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1959: Littleover Parish Council; South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1968:  Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation) (Unparished)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: Derby City Council (unitary authority).
History

March 1920: The land was acquired at a cost of £800 and work began to lay out the sports ground.

September 1920: The grounds began to be used although work continued to develop the facilities.

2nd July, 1921: The sports ground was opened by Ald A Green, MP; dedicated by the Rev J Harding Jackson, and the roll of honour was unveiled by Ald R Laurie, Mayor of Derby.

1940s: It is believed that the buildings were replaced or added to as a WW2 memorial.

29th January, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition.
References

Derby Telegraph, 4th July 1921, p2: A long article about the development and opening of the sports ground.
Comments

Although originally intended for the use of members of Rose Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church membership of the club is now open to all.
Page © Roy Branson