Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Derby School - WW1 Tablet

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 memorial tablet to the Old Derbeians of Derby School, formerly located at St Helen's House, Derby and now at Derby Moor Community Sports College, Littlover.
Images

Tablet
Locations

Last known location:
Derby Moor Community
 Sports College
Moorway La
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32765 33162
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
In storage, pending new display.

Previous location:
Derby Moor School
Moorway La
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32731 33208
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Wall mounted, in an alcove of the school hall.

Previous location:
Derby School
King St (A6)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3EE

NGR:
SK 35007 36836
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
On the north wall inside the chapel.
Type

Overall type: Tablet.


Overall condition: Fair.


Description:

A pale grey oblong alabaster tablet suffused with flushes of pale yellow and with an incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering picked out in black.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet Alabaster 455 765 20 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF
THOSE MEMBERS OF DERBY SCHOOL
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR OF 1914 - 1918,
AND WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED
ON THE OBELISK ERECTED
IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL HOUSE.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration

Custodian: Not known.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation) (Unparished)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: Derby City Council (unitary authority).
History

c1922: The tablet was installed in the chapel at the King St premises.

1966: Derby School moved to a new building at Littleover and the tablet was affixed to the wall of the assembly hall.

1974: The school was changed from a grammar school to a comprehensive school.

September 1989: The school was renamed Derby Moor Community School.

2004: The school was renamed Derby Moor Community Sports College.

c2011: Work started on rebuilding the school; the tablet was removed from the wall and placed into temporary storage.

January 2013: The new school buildings were occupied and the tablet placed into storage there pending creation of a suitable display.

2nd February, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition.
References

Derby Daily Telegraph 30th December 1922 p2 col4: A report that surplus funds raised for the obelisk would be used to provide a tablet in the chapel.

M Shales, Pers Comm. A series of emails from the Principal providing historical details.
Comments

Thanks to Mike Shales, School Principal, and Maurice Cass, Assistant Archivist to the Old Derbeian Society, for their assistance in researching and recording this memorial.
Page © Roy Branson