Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Derby School - WW1 Bible

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 memorial Bible to the Old Derbeians of Derby School, formerly located at St Helen's House, Derby and now at Derby Moor Community Sports College, Littlover.
Images

Cover Bible
Locations

Last known location:
Derby Moor Community
 Sports College
Moorway La
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32765 33162
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
In storage, pending new display.

Previous location:
Derby Moor School
Moorway La
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32731 33208
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The Bible is believed to have been kept in the chapel adjoining the school assembly hall.

Previous location:
Derby School
King St (A6)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3EE

NGR:
SK 35007 36836
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
In the chapel.
Type

Overall type: Bible.


Overall condition: Fair.


Description:

A large heavy Bible with a protective fabric cover. The Bible has a black cover with an embossed and gilded inscription in upright capital roman lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Bible Card, paper 350 300 100 Fair
Cover Fabric 350 300 100 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

DERBY SCHOOL
IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN
1914-1918
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration

Custodian: Not known.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation) (Unparished)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: Derby City Council (unitary authority).
History

1966: Derby School moved to a new building at Littleover and the Bible is believed to have been placed in the chapel adjoining the assembly hall.

1974: The school was changed from a grammar school to a comprehensive school.

September 1989: The school was renamed Derby Moor Community School.

2004: The school was renamed Derby Moor Community Sports College.

2012: The hall and chapel were demolished and the Bible was moved into storage.

January 2013: The new school buildings were occupied and the Bible was placed into storage there pending creation of a suitable display.

2nd February, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition.
References

M Shales, Pers Comm. A series of emails from the Principal providing historical details.
Comments

Thanks to Mike Shales, School Principal, and Maurice Cass, Assistant Archivist to the Old Derbeian Society, for their assistance in researching and recording this memorial.
Page © Roy Branson