Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Derby School - WW2 Lectern

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 memorial lectern to the Old Derbeians of Derby School, formerly located at St Helen's House, Derby and now at Derby Moor Community Sports College, Littlover.
Images

Lectern Arms Lectern
Locations

Last known location:
Derby Moor Community
 Sports College
Moorway La
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32765 33162
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
In the assembly hall.

Previous location:
Derby Moor School
Moorway La
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32731 33208
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The lectern is believed to have been located in the chapel adjacent to the school assembly hall..

Previous location:
Derby School
King St (A6)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3EE

NGR:
SK 35007 36836
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
In the chapel.
Type

Overall type: Lectern.


Overall condition: Fair.


Description:

An oaken lectern comprising an open framework, semicircular in plan, with a small panel at the front bearing the school coat of arms carved in relief, and with an inclined surface above for supporting documents. A small brass plaque is attached to the upper surface and bears an incised inscription in upright capital block lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Lectern Oak 1420 770 480 Fair
Plaque Brass 90 35 1 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

PRESENTED BY THE OLD DERBEIAN SOCIETY
TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THOSE OLD BOYS
OF DERBY SCHOOL WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
THE WAR OF 1939 - 1945.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration

Custodian: Not known.

Local authorities:
From WW2: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation) (Unparished)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: Derby City Council (unitary authority).
History

1940s: The lectern was installed in the chapel at the King St premises.

1966: Derby School moved to a new building at Littleover.

1974: The school was changed from a grammar school to a comprehensive school.

September 1989: The school was renamed Derby Moor Community School.

2004: The school was renamed Derby Moor Community Sports College.

2012: The school hall and adjacent chapel were demolished; the lectern was removed and placed into temporary storage.

January 2013: The new school buildings were occupied and the lectern was installed in the assembly hall.

2nd February, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition.
References

M Shales, Pers Comm. A series of emails from the Principal providing historical details.
Comments

Thanks to Mike Shales, School Principal, and Maurice Cass, Assistant Archivist to the Old Derbeian Society, for their assistance in researching and recording this memorial.
Page © Roy Branson