Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Parliament House (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial board originally in the Parliament House public house, Derby.
Images
No images are available.
Locations
Last known location:
Parliament House (demolished)
114 Stockbrook St
St Luke's
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 3WN

NGR:
SK 34552 35651
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The public house was on the southern side of Stockbrook St at the junction with St Luke's St. The memorial was inside the building.
Type
Overall type: Board.


Overall condition: Lost.


Description:

An oaken board with the names of 33 customers who had fallen during WW1.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Board Oak - - - Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[Not known.]
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 33
Number served and returned  0
Total names 33
Administration
Custodian: —

Local authorities:
Before 1974: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997 the unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
25th June, 1921: The memorial was unveiled by Cllr G Goodman

1970s: The Parliament House was demolished.
References
Derby Telegraph, 29th June, 1920: a report on the unveiling ceremony.

The Illustrated History of Derby's Pubs, Maxwell Craven, 2002, Breedon Books, ISBN 1 85983 330 6: a brief description of the public house.
Comments
This memorial is known only from the press cutting.
Page © Roy Branson