Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Derby School - Obelisk

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 and WW2 war memorial obelisk to Derby School outside St Helen's House, Derby, and previously located at Littleover.
Images
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09
Locations
Last known location:
St Helen's House
King St (A6)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3EE

NGR:
SK 35021 36791
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
On the north side of the forecourt.

Previous location:
Moorway Community School
Moorway Lane
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 2FS

NGR:
SK 32772 33191
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
Near the southeast corner of the building.
The memorial was moved back close to its original position in 1993 when the school school name and status changed.

Previous location:
St Helen's House
King St (A6)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3EE

NGR:
SK 35022 36780
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
In the centre of the forecourt.
The memorial was moved to its next location in 1966 when the school moved to new premises in Littleover.
Type
Overall type: Obelisk.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible but there is staining in some areas.

Description:

A white Portland limestone obelisk comprising a three-stepped octagonal base, a canted plinth and a square pedestal surmounted by the obelisk which is supported on four balls. The WW1 commemoration is incised in a raised panel on the 6 o'clock face of the pedestal and the names are incised on three green slate tablets on the other three faces of the pedestal. The WW2 commemoration is incised on the 6 o'clock face of the obelisk and the names are incised on three green slate tablets on the other three faces of the obelisk.  A cast bronze victors' laurel wreath is attached to the 6 o'clock face of the obelisk. Inscriptions are in upright capital roman lettering, those on the tablets coloured white.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Obelisk Portland limestone - - - Good
Pedestal Portland limestone - - - Good
Plinth Portland limestone - - - Good
Base Portland limestone - - - Good
Tablets Slate - - - Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
6 o'clock face of pedestal:

TO THE
MEMORY OF
MEMBERS
OF THIS
SCHOOL
WHO FELL IN
THE GREAT
WAR
1914-1918
DERBY
19-SCHOOL-21
9 o'clock face of pedestal:

CORPL. F. C. PLAYER
LIEUT. R. W. K. REID
PTE. F. S. RICHES
PTE. R. A. ROE
LIEUT. T. E. F. RUSSELL
LIEUT. H. W. SARGENT
SERGT. C. D. SCOTT
LIEUT. G. S. SHANNON M.C.
MAJOR C. S. SMITH M.C.
LIEUT. M. W. A. SMITH
PTE. S. C. SMITH
MAJOR G. S. SOWTER
LIEUT. U. H. E. SOWTER
LIEUT. K. C. STEVEN
CAPT. A. STONE
CAPT. F. D. STONES M.C.
LIEUT G. C. STONES
GUNLAYER. J. C. SWINDELL
LIEUT. C. C. H. TRIPP
CAPT. D. O. H. TRIPP D.S.O.
LIEUT. E. R. WILMSHURST
CAPT. G. D. WILSON
LIEUT. W. J. WILSON
12 o'clock face of pedestal:

RIFLEMAN. T. C. M. EDWARDS
CAPT. W. E. ELSE
PTE. A. T. C. FRITH
LIEUT. A. C. FRY
CADET. B. D. F. GOLDIE
GUNNER. R. G. GRATTON
LIEUT. H. J. GRAVES M.C.
LIEUT. C. E. HARDY
CAPT. P. P. HARRISON
LIEUT J. HUNTER
PTE. J. KERSHAW
SERGT. H. B. LYNCH
LIEUT. H. C. MELVILLE
LIEUT. N. H. V. MILLS
SURGEON. G. B. MOON R.N.
LIEUT. R. A. MOON M.C.
SAPPER. W. L. MUGLISTON
LIEUT. F. F. MUNRO
PTE. C. H. NICHOLSON
PTE. A. W. B. ORR
MAJOR. C. A. ORTON
LIEUT. L. C. PALMER
PTE. P. BOAM
3 o'clock face of pedestal:

C. S. AYRE
B. M. BADCOCK
LIEUT. E. A. BASSANO
LC. CORPL. R. V. BEARE
LIEUT. K. BEMROSE
LIEUT. R. H. BEMROSE M.C.
PTE. L. V. BENNETT
LIEUT. A. F. BENTLEY
COL. H. C. BERNARD
LIEUT. G. W. BROWN
LIEUT. C. J. CADMAN M.C.
LIEUT. A. CHAPLIN
PTE. W. G. CHRISTIAN
PTE. J. F. C. CLARKE
LIEUT. W. C. CONLEY M.C.
CAPT. W. H. C. COOKE
PTE. R. H. COXON
CAPT. V. A. B. CRANWILL M.C.
LIEUT. D. A. L. DERRY
LIEUT. R. F. DOMLEO
LIEUT. R. I. DONCASTER
LIEUT. B. V. R. DOWNMAN
CORPL. T. J. DUESBURY

6 o'clock face of obelisk:

THIS FURTHER INSCRIPTION
COMMEMORATES THOSE
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
THE SECOND GREAT WAR
1939-1945
9 o'clock face of obelisk:

R. J. RILEY
A. J. ROBERTS
G. J. ROBINSON
P. W. SANFORD
J. W. SANKEY
N. B. SCOTT
M. S. SMITH
B. W. STALVIES
L. D. STRATFORD
L. C. THORNTON
M. W. UNSWORTH
M. F. WEIR
J. L. WHITTINGHAM
J. WILLATT
T. A. WILLIAMSON
J. G. M. YOUNG
12 o'clock face of obelisk:

E. E. HIVES
S. HODGKINSON
G. E. HOLLAND
E. HOLMES
C. F. KIRBY
H. B. MITTON
K. P. MITTON
A. I. T. MOIR
H. P. D. MORGAN
A. S. MORLEY
W. H. PANNELL
T. R. PAXTON
K. R. J. PENNINGTON
C. D. PRITCHARD
F. H. RIDLEY
R. GRIMSHAW
3 o'clock face of obelisk:

L. V. ANDREWS
D. W. ARKWRIGHT
C. P. BAILIE
R. B. BASFORD
L. T. BISHOP
N. BLAKE
J. C. BRADLEY
P. E. BUTTERWORTH
G. A. COCKAYNE
G. CORNISH
J. A. G. CRUIKSHANK
P. M. DAVIES
D. S. FLETCHER
D. W. GLASS
S. GRUNDY
P. HALDENBY

Conflicts and people named
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 69 48
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 69 48
Administration

Custodians: The Old Derbeian Society owns and manages the memorial.

Local Authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
1974 - 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History

c1920-21: The memorial was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and cost c£650 to build, funded by subscription from contemporary and past staff and pupils and from a wider public.

11 November 1921: The memorial was unveiled by Lt Col G A Lewis CMG TD and dedicated by Rt Rev Charles Abraham, Suffragan Bishop of Derby.

1939-45: Derby School evacuated the St Helen's House buildings and moved temporarily to Alfreton.

20th June, 1947: The WW2 additions to the memorial were unveiled by the Alderman A Sturgess, Chairman of the Derby Education Committee.

20 June 1952: The adjacent St Helen's House was first listed Grade I, Heritage List for England number1228285 and has been subsequently revised.

September 1966: Derby School moved to a new building at Littleover and the memorial was re-erected at the new site.

1974: The school was changed from a grammar school to comprehensive school.

1988: The name of the school was changed to Moorway Community School and relocation of the memorial came under consideration.

1993: The memorial was relocated close to its original position at St Helen's House.

19 April 2001: The memorial was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1246236.

c2005: The adjacent Grade I Listed St Helen's House had become dangerous, was closed, fenced off, and proposed for refurbishment.

9 April 2008: The memorial was included on Derby City Council's List of Buildings of Local Interest.

17th July, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson.

April 2012: A high brick wall was built around the perimeter of the courtyard.  The memorial was no longer accessible or visible from the public road.

October 2012: Renovation of St Helen's House began and the area surrounding the memorial was landscaped.  Agreement was reached for the building to be used as commercial offices by local company.

2013: The site was occupied by a commercial organisation.
References

Derby Daily Telegraph 18th March 1921 p3 col3. An announcement regarding the selection of the obelisk designed by Sir Richard Blomfield (sic).

Derby Daily Telegraph 25th June 1921 p6 col5. An announcement that a proposal to fund a scholarship as a memorial had been abandoned in favour of concentrating all funds into the obelisk designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

Derby Daily Telegraph 10th November 1921 p2. An announcement regarding the imminent unveiling.

Nottingham Evening Post 11 November 1921 p4. A report on the unveiling ceremony.

Derby Daily Telegraph 12th December 1921 p2. An extensive report on the unveiling ceremony.

Derby Daily Telegraph 30th December 1922 p2 col4. An announcement that funds raised for the memorial had exceeded the cost of the obelisk and that some of the surplus would fund the provision of a tablet in the chapel..

Order of Service 21st July 1947, gives details of the unveiling ceremony for the WW2 additions.

Derby Daily Telegraph 21st July 1947 p3. A report on the unveiling of the WW2 names.

Derby Evening Telegraph 10th September 1966 p6. A report on the new school buildings included a photograph of the memorial.

M Shales, Pers Comm. A series of emails from the Principal providing historical details.
Comments

Page © Roy Branson