Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
St John the Evangelist's Church
Images
Tablet Head Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
Several further photographs are held on file and illustrate some of the details.
Locations
Last known location:
St John the Evangelist's Church,
St John's St junction with Mill St,
Derby,
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE1 1DH

NGR:
SK 34519 36620
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
On the north wall, inside the memorial chapel in the northwest corner of the nave.
Type
Overall type:  Tablet


Overall condition: Good.  The inscription is legible.


Description:

An oblong, wall mounted alabaster and white marble tablet.  The memorial comprises four vertical panels of white marble bearing the names, and one horizontal panel bearing the inscription, all surrounded by a moulded frame of brown and cream mottled alabaster.  At the foot is a moulded cornice bearing a further inscription.  The outer pilasters have traceried heads with a background of Swedish green marble and the inner pilasters are inlaid with Convent Sienna marble.  Above the pilasters is a canopy with tracery and a frieze depicting a vine with grapes in relief and the whole is surmounted by a moulded cornice with hollow shoulders.  On the right and left spandrels are roundels of blue lapis lazuli, on which rest two white alabaster wreaths in relief.  The inscription and names on the marble panels are incised in upright capital roman lettering infilled in black.  That on the lower cornice is in upright capital roman cavo rilievo lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet Alabaster, marble, lapis lazuli 1520 2150 175 Good
Dimensions in millimetres unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Top tablet: TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN PERPETUAL LOVING REMEMBRANCE OF
THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO LAID DOWN
THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. 1914-1919.
Lower four tablets: (Names)
Bottom cornice: MAKE THEM TO BE NUMBERED WITH THY SAINTS IN GLORY EVERLASTING


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 110
Number served and returned     0
Total names 110
Administration
Local Authorities:
Before 1974: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)   From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.   Post 1997 the unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
1920: Made by R G Lomas of King St, Derby.
19th December, 1920: Unveiled by Maj Gen Sir Richard Luce KCMG CB and Denis Roe (son of the late Pte Robert Arnold Roe). Dedicated by Ven Archdeacon Noakes of Derby. Also in attendance was Rev A T Humphreys, Vicar.
References
20th December, 1920: Derby Telegraph, p2. An extensive account of the unveiling ceremony.
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson