Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Mary the Virgin's Church

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial lych gate at St Mary the Virgin's Church, Boulton, Derby.
Images
Lych gate Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard
Boulton La
Boulton-by-Derby
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE24 0GE

NGR:
SK 38455 33017 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
Although Boulton-by-Derby is the historical name, it is today just known as Boulton, and although widely considered to be part of Alvaston it is an ecclesiastical parish in its own right.
The church is on the north side of the road, the lych gate is by the roadside and the tablet is inside the gate, on the west wall.
Type
Overall type: Lych gate.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

An oak-framed lych gate originally with a tiled roof but now with wooden shingles. A bronze plaque is set into the western wall and contains the inscription in raised capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Lych gate Oak 3400 4000 3200 Fair
Plaque Bronze 420 320 - Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
FOR GOD KING AND COUNTRY
1914 - 1919
G. H. BATESW. KIRKMAN
W. G. BALDWINA. MARSH
J. H. BRIGGSA. MILLS
P.BUTLERE. G. B. PELL
G. COLLINSW. R. SCOTT
W. CHANDLERA. G. STEVENS
E. DENTA. V. SWINBURN
J. L. EYREE. SWINBURN
H. FEARNN. TALBOT
S. FOSTERA. R. TALBOT
H. W. FOXS. TURNER
V. GREENW. WALKER
D. GRANGERG. E. WEAVER
E. HALLSWORTHF. WESTON
S. HALLSWORTHE. WHOTTON
A. INNOCENTE. W. C. YORK
G. F. JEFFRIES
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 33 33
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 33 33
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Alvaston and Boulton Parish Council; Alvaston and Boulton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From WW2: Alvaston and Boulton Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1960s: Derby County Borough Council.(Unparished);
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council (Unparished); Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
!919-1920: The lych gate cost £200 and was designed by John Wills and Sons, Architects, of St Peter's Churchyard, Derby. It was constructed by Mr Joseph Thomas Fisher, a carpenter and joiner with R W Pickles Ltd, builder, of Chequers La, Derby.

25 September, 1920: The memorial was unveiled by Lt Col G A Lewis CMG TD and dedicated by the Right Rev Dr Charles Druitt, Bishop of Grafton, New South Wales, Australia.

2005: The roof was extensively refurbished by Mr Mark Stafford, joiner.

24th April, 2005. Following the refurbishment, the memorial was rededicated by Rev Tim Wright, vicar.

15th August, 2012: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derby Telegraph; 21st September, 1920; p3: an announcement with details of the forthcoming unveiling.

Derby Telegraph; 27th September, 1920; p3: A report of the unveiling with details of construction, cost, inscription and namelist.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson