Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Central School for Boys - WW1

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: A description of a WW1 war memorial plaque for the Central School for Boys, originally at Hastings St, Derby but moved several times.
Images

Darley Hall Da Vinci Plaque
Locations

Last known location:
Da Vinci Community
 School
St Andrews View
Breadsall Hilltop
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE21 4ET

NGR:
SK 37424 38254
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The plaque is on a wall in the foyer.

Previous location:
High View School (demolished)
(Previously Henry
 Cavendish School)
St Andrews View
Breadsall Hilltop
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE21 4ET

NGR:
SK 37310 38229
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Removed c2007 when the building was demolished.

Previous location:
Central School
Darley Hall (demolished)
Darley Park
Mile Ash La
Darley Abbey
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 1DS

NGR:
SK 35108 38347
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Removed c1958 when Henry Cavendish School opened..

Previous location:
Central School (demolished)
Abbey St
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 3ST

NGR:
SK 348 357
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Removed 1939 when Central School was evacuated from the town centre and relocated to Darley Hall under wartime precautions.

Previous location:
Central School (demolished)
Hastings St
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 6QQ

NGR:
SK 350 345
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
Removed 1930 when Central School moved to different premises in Abbey St.
Type

Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is well cared for.

Description:

A nowy-headed wall-mounted oblong bronze plaque with canted corners.  A shield at the head has the letters CS behind an opening curtain and the dates 1914 and 1919 on a scroll below. The plaque has a 20mm wide engaged fluted doric style border and bears the inscription with names in four columns, all in raised uprighr capital roman lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Bronze 520 1060 50 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

IN MEMORY OF THE OLD BOYS OF THIS SCHOOL
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
ALLABARTON FREDK.
ASTLE KENNETH M.
BAILEY WILLIAM E.
BROADHURST W. O.
BROWN THOMAS S.
CARTWRIGHT ROBT. S.
CLAYTON HAROLD V.
COLLINS HARRY
COLQUHOUN J. C.
COOPER FREDK. V.
CORBETT WILLIAM L.
COX WILLIAM H.
DAINTY HERBERT G.
DICKIN PERCY W.
DYER FREDERICK E.
EDEY SYDNEY
HEMMINGS JOHN H.
JERRAM THOMAS F.
JOHNSON JOHN J.
KING HUBERT W.
LITTLEDYKE J. H.
McAUSLAND R. H. R.
MEAKIN WILLIAM H.
ORCHARD HUGH T.
ORDISH REGINALD A.
ORME JACK E.
PARSONS GORDON F.
PATTINSON HAYDN
PEGG JOHN F.
PERMAN EDGAR G.
RAWLINGS FRANK
RODGER GEORGE R.
SANDERS HORACE W.
SHREEVE EDWARD
SMITH HENRY L.
SQUIRE GEORGE
UFTON LEONARD
WHITWORTH W. A.
"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 38
Number served and returned  0
Total names 38
Administration

Custodian: Presumed to be the School Governors in association with the Old Centaurs Association.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation).
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History

19th March 1919: Two hundred old boys of the School met and donated £120 funds to the erection of the memorial.

1920: The memorial was acquired and installed at the Central School for Boys, Hastings Street, Derby

26th October 1920: The memorial was unveiled and dedicated by the Very Rev Charles Abraham, Bishop Suffragan of Derby.

1930: The memorial was removed to the new premises of the Central School in Abbey St, Derby, and the Hastings St premises were subsequently demolished.

1939: The memorial was removed to the Central School, Darley Hall, Darley Park, Derby when the school evacuated its town centre premises as a wartime precaution, and the Abbey Street buildings were subsequently demolished.

1958: The memorial was removed to the to new Henry Cavendish School, St Andrews View, Derby when the school moved there, and most of Darley Hall was subsequently demolished.

1989: The school name was changed to High View School but remained at St Andrews View.

August 2007: The memorial was refurbished by Norwest Holst, builders, and installed in the new school buildings that they were erecting adjacent to the old ones but still on the same site at St Andrews View.

2007:  On occupying the new premises the school was again renamed, to Da Vinci Community School.

5th January 2010: The memorial was surveyed and this history compiled, by Eric Naden.
References

Central School log book and archives, Derbyshire Records Office: Details of the purchase of the memorial in 1920.

Derby Mercury, 29th October 1920, p9: Report and photograph of the unveiling and dedication

Jones, Derek: pers. comm.

Naden, Eric: Biographies of those named on the memorial, Two volumes deposited at the Local Studies Library, Derby and Derbyshire Records Office, Matlock.
Comments

Each year at 11am on 11th November, or a nearby date if the date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, a commemorative assembly is held at the memorial by the school.
Page © Roy Branson