heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
London Midland and Scottish Railway Carriage and Wagon Works
Images
Setting Memorial
Locations
Last known location:
E Building
Litchurch Lane Works
Litchurch La
Litchurch
Derby
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE24 8AD

NGR:
SK 36396 34342
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
Roughly in the middle of the workshop.
Type
Overall type: Board.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.

Description:

An oblong framed painting on a wooden board.

The painting is believed to have been executed in oil-based industrial paint of the type used to paint railway carriages in the mid twentieth century, and is applied onto a thin board. At the centre is a maroon shield with a gold border and bearing the names in gold upright capital block lettering. Above, in the style of an heraldic wreath and crest, is a white globe bearing lines of latitude and longitude and the inscription superimposed in black upright capital roman lettering. The whole overlays a green laurel wreath with red bindings and small Union Flags. The background is plain maroon with the artist's name in the bottom right corner.

The oblong frame is of wood moulding.


Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Board Wood, oilpaint 470 480 - Good
Frame Wood 590 590 55 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Head of painting: WAR
1939
TO
1945
Centre of painting:
A. ADAMSON
S. SHARP
K. FAULKNER
Bottom right of picture: C. H. WELHAM
1946

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 3
Number served and returned 0
Total names 3
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Bombardier Transportation (UK) Ltd.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
Mid 20C: Carriage painting was carried out in G Building and it is presumed that the memorial was originally erected there.

1946: The board was painted by C. H. Welham.

25 November 1999: The memorial was reported to have been in "Coach Building, H Section"

19 March 2013: The memorial was surveyed in E Building and was in good condition and well cared for, although a small area of damage in the bottom right corner had been repaired. Company staff were of the opinion that the memorial had previously been in D Building.

Over almost a century the site evolved from the Midland Railway Company, The London Midland and Scottish Railway Company, British Railways, ABB Daimler-Benz Transportation (Adtranz), and Bombardier Transportation (UK) Ltd.
References
Comments
The memorial cannot currently be attributed to a particular department but it was the practice at the time for company memorials to be made by employees of that department. It is suspected that C H Welham was a craftsman painter in the Painting Department and that he may have been assisted by other employees.

In the mid 20C G Building was also known as the Carriage Painting Shop and D and E Buildings contained several departments relating to joinery and wood trimming. H Building had housed several departments including Wheel Lathes, Fitting and Machine Shops.
Page © Roy Branson