Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Works - Zeppelin Raid

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque at the former Carriage and Wagon Works, Litchurch, Derby.
Images
Setting Location Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
J Building
Litchurch Lane Works
Litchurch La
Litchurch
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE24 8AD

NGR:
SK 36479 34548
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the outside wall of the building, near the west end of the north wall. The former Midland Railway site is now occupied by Bombardier Transportation (UK) Ltd.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A wall-mounted, oblong, cast brass plaque with a plain raised border. The inscription is in raised capital block lettering and the background is coloured black.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass c120 c200 c15 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
ZEPPELIN
BOMB
FELL HERE
FEB 1ST. 1916
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action German Zeppelin air raid on Derby
(1st February, 1916)
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Bombardier Transportation (UK) Ltd.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
1st February, 1916: A German L14 Zeppelin, lost on its way to Liverpool, dropped its bombs on Derby, resulting in five deaths though comparatively little damage. Five of the bombs fell on the then Carriage and Wagon Works of the Midland Railway. Three fell on or between the Carriage Building Shop (now demolished) and the Wagon Building Shop (now B Shop), one on railway sidings near the Timber Drying Shed, and one on the Smithy (now J Shop).

Unknown date: The plaque was made, probably in the works brass foundry, and erected on the wall of J Shop.

Unknown date: The plaque was taken down and put into storage.

c2007: The plaque was located, cleaned, and replaced on the wall of J Shop by Colin Dane.

19 March 2013: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Andy Savage of the Railway Heritage Trust. It was in fair condition.
References
Colin Dane; 29th July, 2017; Pers Comm regarding the re-erection of the plaque c2007.
Comments
Over almost a century the site evolved from the Midland Railway Company, The London Midland and Scottish Railway Company, British Railways, ABB Daimler-Benz Transportation (Adtranz), and Bombardier Transportation (UK) Ltd.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson