Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Thomas the Apostle's Church - Cross

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial cross at St Thomas the Apostle's Church, Pear Tree, Derby.
Images
Memorial Inscription Names A-C Names C-F Names G-H Names H-M Names M-S missing Names S-W WW2 names
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image. Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Thomas the Apostle's
 Churchyard
Pear Tree Rd
Pear Tree
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 8NQ

NGR:
SK 35303 34363
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The memorial is at the junction with Richmond Rd.
Type
Overall type: Cross.


Overall condition: Poor. Part of the inscription is missing and the memorial is derelict and dirty.

Description:

A plain latin sandstone cross on an octagonal tapered shaft surmounting a sandstone pedestal, plinth and base. The pedestal is of cruciform plan, the four piers having gabled caps and the sides bearing seven oblong marble tablets (with a space for one lost) and one limestone tablet. The plinth is also cruciform in plan and the base is square. The inscriptions on the tablets are inlaid in upright capital block lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Cross Sandstone c1000 c400 c100 Fair
Shaft Sandstone 3800 300 300 Fair
Pedestal Sandstone 1300 1380 1380 Fair
Plinth Sandstone 150 1630 16300 Fair
Base Sandstone 180 2270 2270 Fair
Tablet x 7 Marble 700 380 20 Poor
Tablet Marble 700 380 20 Missing
Tablet Limestone 670 340 25 At risk
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
6 o'clock pier, centre tablet: 9 o'clock pier, centre tablet: 9 o'clock pier, right tablet:
TO THE
GLORY OF GOD
AND
IN MEMORY
OF
THE MEN FROM THIS
CHURCH AND PARISH,
WHO FELL
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 — 1918.
"DYING, AND BEHOLD WE LIVE."
F. ALLABARTON
F. ALLEN
G. W. APPLEYARD
G. B. AUGER
W. H. BARLOW
E. BASSANO
L. BEAUMONT
A. E. BEAVIS
W. H. BEAVIS
G. H. BENNETT
H. BESWICK
J. BESWICK
J. V. BLOOD
E. J. BRADBURY
G. BRADLEY
C. H. BRAMALL
J. E. BRAMHAM
A. BRIDGE
G. BRINDLEY
G. H. BROOKS
J. H. BROWN
W. H. BROWNETT
A. BULL
G. H. BULL
P F. BURROW
C. CALDICOTT
A. CHANNON
A. CHESHIRE
H. A. L CLARK
J. COLLIS
W. COLWILL
H. N. COOKE
C. CORNER
L. CRESWELL
H. A. DALE
B. DANIELS
W. H. DAVIES
C. G. DAWSON
S. DELVES
G. T. DENTON
A. E. DEW
W. J. DUDLESTON
W. DUDLEY
H. DUMELOW
W. E. DUMELOW
G. E. DUROSE
A. C. EDMONDS
F. EDMONDS
E. EDWARDS
B. L. EUSTON
J. W. EVANS
G. H. FARMER
H. E. FITCH
J. FORD
R. FORD
J. W. FOX
T. FRANCIS
W. A. FRETTINGHAM

6 o'clock pier, left tablet: 6 o'clock pier, right tablet: 3 o'clock pier, left tablet:
[E. R. GAUNT]
E. GAY
F. GAY
T. GENT
[H. GIBBONS]
W. J. GLOVER
S. GOODMAN
C. A. GOODWIN
T. GOODWIN
C. F. W. GOULD
C. GOULDING
J. GOULDING
W. GRANT
G. T. GREENING
A. GRETTON
J. GRIFFITHS
F. HACKETT
A. HALES
W. F. HALL
C. HAMLETT
A. HANCOCK
J. J. HARDWICK
G. R. HARDWICK
H. HARDY
J. H. HARRADINE
F. HARRISON
H. HARVEY
S. HARVEY
S. HAWKRIDGE

[Some letters missing or damaged.]
J. C. HICKS
L. HICKS
A. W. HIGGS
J. HILL
R. HILL
A. HOBDAY
C. HOOPER
J. HOUGH
W. HOUGH
A. HOWELL
G. H. HUNT
W. S. HUNT
W. H. HUNTON
W. ILLSTON
E. JAMES
F. JERRAM
H. JOHNSON
J. J. JOHNSON
E. JONES
L. KEW
H. J. B. KITCHENER
G. H. LITCHFIELD
G. LITTLER
J. MATKIN
W. R. J. MEAKIN
W. G. MIDGLEY
A. E. MILNE
E. MOSELEY
R. M. NORTON
[T. ORME
G. PADGETT
C. S. PAINTER
G. W. PALFREY
H. E. PARKER
F. PETERS
H. PLIMMER
J. PRESTON
W. RAISIN
T. READ
A. ROBINSON
G. ROBINSON
T. ROBINSON
F. ROE
G. SANDALL
E. SAUNDERS
H. SANDERS
R. W. SANDHAM
R. W. SAVILLE
T. H. SHAW
G. F. SHENTON
W. SHEPHERD
G. SMITH
J. W. SMITH
R. J. SMITH
W. H. SMITH
A. SPENCER
J. STARTIN
G. STEVENSON]

[Tablet missing, names reconstructed
from contemporary press reports.]

3 o'clock pier, centre tablet: 12 o'clock pier, centre tablet:
J. W. STRANGE
A. B. TATLOW
C. TAYLOR
S. E. TAYLOR
F. THOMPSON
R. V. THOMPSON
H. S. TILL
W. TOWNE
A. H. VICKERS
G. VICKERS
W. VICKERS
J. WAGSTAFF
J. WALLIS
R. WALTON
T. E. WALTON
F. L. WATSON
G. E. WESTWOOD
A. WHEATLEY
W. WHEATLEY
C. O. WHITCROFT
H. WIBBERLEY
R. WILKES
F. I. WILSON
W. WINSON
C. WRIGHT
F. WRIGHT
H. WRIGHT
D. E. WOOD
T. A. BATES
J. BESWICK
[L. COLE]
E. GOODMAN
J. H. HUDSON
E. LINDLEY
S. C. MAYES
G. R. RODGER
W. E. SLATER
H. C. TRUMAN
J. VAUGHAN
A. G. VICKERS
[Some letters missing or damaged. The limestone tablet has no inscription other than the names, and is presumed to be WW2.]

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action
Number died 173 12 185
Number served and returned  0  0  0
Total names 173 12 185
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
1921-22: The memorial was made and erected by Beresfords, monumental masons of London Rd, Derby.

30th April, 1922: The memorial was unveiled by Brig Gen W. Wright Bemrose VD DL and dedicated by the Bishop Suffragan of Derby, Rt Rev Charles Abraham, DD.

Unknown date: The eighth tablet was added with the names of the WW2 fallen.

Unknown date: One of the WW1 tablets was damaged and removed to the church for safekeeping.

27th February, 2009: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in poor condition, dirty, damaged and derelict.

7th April, 2016: The memorial was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1433592
References
Derby Telegraph, 28th April 1922, p1: an announcement for the forthcoming unveiling ceremony.

Derby Telegraph, 1st May 1922, p2: a full report of the unveiling ceremony.

Derbyshire Advertiser, 5th May 1922, p3: a full report of the unveiling ceremony.

Derbyshire Advertiser, 5th May 1922, p14: a photograph of the Bishop of Derby dedicating the memorial and a photograph of Brig Gen W Wright Bemrose, who unveiled it.
Comments
In September, 2016 plans were being made for the restoration and repair of the memorial, and for the construction of a paved area around it.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson