Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Alkmund's Church - WW2

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial clock and plaque in St Almund's Church, Derby.
Images
Setting Plaque
Locations
Last known location:
St Alkmund's Church
40 Kedleston Rd
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 1GU

NGR:
SK 34648 37179
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The church is on the northeast side of the road 200m northwest of the Five Lamps junction. The plaque is inside, on the west wall of the nave.

Previous location:
St Alkmund's
 Church (Demolished)
St Alkmund's
 Churchyard (Demolished)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3DB

NGR:
SK 3515 3673
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The church was between the present Jurys Inn and the footbridge over St Alkmunds Way. It was demolished c1965 and the area cleared for construction of the inner ring road St Alkmund's Way. The clock is presumed to have been lost when the church was demolished but the plaque was removed to the new St Alkmund's Church at that time.
Type
Overall type: Clock.


Overall condition: The clock is lost but the plaque survives in fair condition and the inscription is legible.

Description:

An electric clock, formerly installed in the tower of the old church but now lost, and a plain rectangular bronze dedicatory plaque, now installed in the new church. The inscription is in raised polished upright roman capital lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Clock - - - - Lost
Plaque Bronze 970 615 10 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945
THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 33
Number served and returned  0
Total names 33
WALTER ASH
TIMOTHY W. ATKINS
DOUGLAS BATCHELOR
LESLIE A. BATCHELOR
SAMUEL P. BENTLEY
THOS. A. CALLADINE
WALTER CARTLEDGE
ALAN A. COLLUMBELL
ALBERT DONLAN
THOS. DONLAN
DEREK FLETCHER
JOHN FORD
FREDERICK GARNER
RONALD GEE
FREDERICK GOODACRE
RICHARD HENSON
SAMUEL HODGKINSON
WILLIAM LEACH
WILLIAM H. LEGG
FRANK MARTIN
ALAN MILLBAND
A. G. (JIM) MUDD
ARNOLD C. NIXSON
THOS ROY PAXTON
WILLIAM PURDY
REGINALD REDFERN
STANLEY SHARP
SYDNEY A. SHARRATT
DONALD TAYLOR
RAYMOND WALTON
T. A. (PETER) WALTON
TOM R. WATERFIELD
LESLIE A. YOUNG
THE ELECTRIC CLOCK IN THE TOWER
WAS INSTALLED IN MEMORY OF THESE MEN
1949
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
Before 1974: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
Since 1997 the unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
14th May 1950: The clock was set in motion by Cdr E Sowter RN and dedicated by Rev G H Stevens MTH OCF, Depôt Chaplain to the Sherwood Foresters. The plaque was unveiled by Sq Ldr G N L Bryant, RAF

c1965: The clock is presumed to have been lost when the old church was demolished but the plaque was removed from the old church prior to its demolition and subsequently re-erected in the new one on Kedleston Rd.

22nd April 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy and Ronald Branson. It was in fair condition.
References
Derby Telegraph; 22nd April 1950 p1: A photograph and report on the removal of the old clock mechanism preparatory to the installation of the new electric mechanism forming part of the memorial. The new clock was installed by John Smith and Sons Ltd of Derby, and cost about £250.

Derby Telegraph; 13th May 1950 p2: An announcement for the forthcoming unveiling service.

Derby Telegraph; 15th May 1950 p6: A report on the unveiling service.
Comments
Page © Roy Branson