Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Staff of London County Westminster and Parrs Bank
 - London Road Branch Derby

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque originally in the London Road Branch of the London County Westminster and Parrs Bank and commemorating staff of that branch..
Images
Setting Display Plaque Click in a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Natwest Bank,
 St Peter's St Branch
58 St Peter's St
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 1XL

NGR:
SK 35336 35998
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The plaque is on the wall in the public banking area.

Previous location:
London County Westminster
 and Parrs Bank
London Road Branch
153 London Rd
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 2SY

NGR:
SK 35961 35406
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The plaque is presumed to have been on the wall in the public banking area at this location.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair.


Description:

The higher of two horizontal oblong bronze wall plaques mounted one above the other on a common wooden backboard. The plaque has a moulded border and the inscription is within an oblong panel at the head with the name below it. The raised inscription and name are in upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Bronze c400 c530 20 Fair
Backboard Wood c700 c550 c25 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
IN MEMORY OF THE FOLLOWING
MEMBERS OF THE STAFF OF THIS
BRANCH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
EDWARD J. M. KELLY
PETER SMEDLEY
ROBERT W. WELCH
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Totals
Action
Number died33
Number served and returned0 0
Total names33
Administration
Custodian: Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
1920s: The memorial is presumed to have been installed in the public banking area of the London Road branch of the London County Westminster and Parrs Bank.

1923: The bank changed its name to Westminster Bank.

1968: The Westminster and National Provincial Banks merged to become the National Westminster Bank Ltd, or NatWest.

c1994: The London Road branch of the NatWest Bank is believed to have closed and the memorial is presumed to have been moved to the St Peter's St branch. (The former London Road building was later occupied by Cavendish Philatelic Auctions.)

16th January 2011: The memorial was surveyed in the St Peter's Street branch by Eric Naden. It was in fair condition and well cared for. At that time the two plaques were mounted on the east wall inside the building and this WW1 plaque was the lower of the two.

2000: NatWest became a subsidiary of the holding company The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc.

Unknown date: The public banking area was redecorated and the memorial was moved about 3m onto the north wall inside the building. This WW1 plaque was the higher of the two.

19th August 2016: The memorial was resurveyed in the St Peter's Street branch by Eric Naden and Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and well cared for. At that time the two plaques were mounted on the north wall inside the building and this WW2 plaque was the higher of the two.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson