Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Nottingham Road District - Tablet (St Mark's Church)

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial tablet originally located at the roadside of Nottingham Road, Derby under the aegis of St Mark's Church but subsequently moved to Roe Farm Lane and thence to Nottingham Road Cemetery, Chaddesden, Derby.
Images
Setting Memorial Names Inscription
Locations
Last known location:
Compartment A20
Nottingham Road Cemetery
Nottingham Rd
Chaddesden
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE21 6FN

NGR:
SK 37305 36625 ±4m
Location details:
About 80m southeast of the main entrance

Previous location:
Roadside
Hillcrest Club
 (Royal British Legion,
  Chaddesden Branch)
Roe Farm La
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE21 6FR

NGR:
SK 37032 37023
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
On the northern side of Roe Farm La, c20m east of the junction with Hill Crest Rd.

Previous location:
Roadside
Nottingham Rd
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE21 6AN

NGR:
SK 36522 36607
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The memorial was on the south side of Nottingham Rd, about 5m west of the junction with St Mark's Rd.
Type
Overall type: Tablet


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A tall upright tablet of Derbyshire limestone tapering to a pedimented top. At the head is a laurel wreath in relief above the names which are inlaid in two columns of upright capital lettering. At the foot is an inscription in relief in upright capital block lettering between two branches in relief, one of oak leaves and the other of laurel. The tablet surmounts an oblong limestone base.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet Limestone* 2850 1060 380 Fair
Base Limestone* 200 1220 475 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.

* Reported as "Hopton Wood" stone, which is limestone, and "Staincliffe" stone.
Inscription
FOR GOD KING AND COUNTRY
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Action
Number died 34
Number served and returned  0
Total names 34
SEAMAN DENT G.
SERGT. MILLINGTON. A.
CPL. TOCKNELL H G.
L-CPL. DYER. G
L-CPL. MITCHELL. P.
L-CPL. NEEDHAM. W.
GUNR AYRE. C.
GUNR. DAY. R. L.
PTE. ALLSOP. F.
[...] APPLEGATE. H. E.
[...] BECK. S. M.
[...] BROOKS. A
[...] COOK F.
[... COULSON] H. B.
[... ...ON A]

PTE. HANCOCK. W. W.
1ST.A/M. WINFIELD. A.
PTE. EYRE. S.
[...] GAMBLE. W. A.
[...] HANCOCK. W.
[...] HIRST. W. H.
[...] LEE. R. J.
[...] O BRIAN. J.
[...] PASSEY. S. A.
[...] PARKER. R.
[...] PAYNE. J. W.
[...] ROGERS. J.
[...] TOMLINSON. J. W.
[...] WALKER. F.
[...] WILSON. G. E.
[...] YEOMANS. W.
CPL. TAYLOR. P.

PTE. RAY. A. C.
CPL. BARRADELL. H.
IN GLORIOUS MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF NOTTINGHAM ROAD DERBY
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
ALSO THOSE WHO SERVED
1914-1919

[Note that some of the names have letters missing, but the following are believed to be fair transcriptions:

SEAMAN DENT G. SERGT. MILLINGTON A. CPL. TOCKNELL H. G. L-CPL. DYER G. L-CPL. MITCHELL P. L-CPL. NEEDHAM W. GUNR. AYRE C. GUNR. DAY R. L. PTE. ALLSOP F. PTE. APPLEGATE H. E. PTE. BECK S. M. PTE. BROOKS A. PTE. COOK F. PTE. COULSON H. B. PTE. DENTON A.

PTE. HANCOCK W. W. 1st A/M. WINFIELD A.

PTE. EYRE S. PTE. GAMBLE W. A. PTE. HANCOCK W. PTE. HIRST W. H. PTE. LEE R. J. PTE. O'BRIAN J. PTE. PASSEY S. A. PTE. PARKER R. PTE. PAYNE J. W. PTE. ROGERS J. PTE. TOMLINSON J. W. PTE. WALKER F. PTE. WILSON G. E. PTE. YEOMANS W. CPL. TAYLOR P.

PTE. RAY A. C. CPL. BARRADELL H.]
Administration
Custodian: Believed to be Derby City Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
Before 1917: A Shrine Committee had been set up comprising local residents under the presidency of Cllr E Chambers and had organised the original board and anticipated the provision of a permanent structure. The committee included Mr G Lee, chairman; Mr T B Robinson, treasurer and Mr E Newton, hon secretary.

September 1919: The Shrine Committee began fundraising for a permanent memorial by co-opting the Nottingham Road Gardeners' Association to help arrange a flower show with sports and children's games which raised an initial £150. It had been decided that the permanent memorial would be of stone.

c1920: The memorial was manufactured by Beresfords, monumental masons of Derby and Belper, of "Hopton Wood stone set in a recess of Staincliffe stone". It cost about £200 raised by public subscription and special efforts and was said to have originally borne 31 names.

7th November, 1920: The memorial was unveiled by the Mayor of Derby, Cllr A J Eggleston and dedicated by Rev W H Symonds, vicar of St Mark's church, in a multi-denominational ceremony before a crowd of about 2000 and following a street parade from St Mark's Church.

Unknown date: Further names were added, bringing the total to 34.

September, 1937: A decision to relocate the memorial to St Mark's Churchyard at a cost of ten guineas was never implemented.

1960s:The memorial is shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1961 but major redevelopment later in the decade presumable led to the memorial being moved to Roe Farm Lane. The redevelopment included the construction of the inner ring road involving the realignment of Nottingham Road into the new Pentagon roundabout; the filling in of the adjacent canal and the construction of industrial units nearby.

c1995: The memorial was removed to Nottingham Road Cemetery prior to redevelopment of the Roe Farm Lane site.

1st May, 2002: The cemetery was entered in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens, reference number 1001610.

1st April, 2011: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition.

August, 2014: The memorial was cleaned by Derby City Council.

18th February, 2016: The memorial was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1430481.

11th July, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition although some letters were missing from the names.
References
Derby Telegraph; 20th September, 1919, p2: a report on the activities of the Shrine Committee and the start of fundraising.

Derby Telegraph; 8th November, 1920, p3: a report on the procurement and unveiling of the memorial.

Derby Telegraph; 20th September, 1937, p6: a report on the intention to move the memorial to St Mark's Churchyard.

Derby Telegraph; 4th August, 2014: a report on the recent cleaning by the City Council.

Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson