Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Allestree - Memorial Hall

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 and WW2 war memorial hall at Allestree, Derby.
Images
Setting Entrance Plaque Extension Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Allestree Memorial Hall
Cornhill
Allestree
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 2GG

NGR:
SK 34706 39762
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
At the junction with St Edmunds Cl.
Type
Overall type: Memorial Hall.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A plot of land with a brick and tile community hall. A dedicatory metal plaque inside, on the east wall, bears an incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering coloured white and is mounted on a wooden backboard. A further brass plaque records a refurbishment and has an incised inscription in upright sentence-case roman lettering and is also mounted on a wooden backboard.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Land - c550m2 - - -
Hall Brick, tile - - - Fair
Plaque Metal c200 c250 2 Fair
Backboard Wood c250 c300 c20 Fair
Plaque Brass c200 c250 2 Fair
Backboard Wood c250 c300 c20 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Sign above door:
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 0 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0 0
Total names 0 0 0
Memorial Hall
Dedicatory plaque:
THIS HALL WAS PURCHASED
AND DEDICATED AS A
MEMORIAL TO THOSE OF
THIS VILLAGE WHO SERVED
IN THE TWO WARS
1914-1918 1939-1945
Refurbishment plaque:
This extension opened on 28th November 2006 by
Councillor Roy Webb
Supported by all users of the Memorial Hall and
funded by
Derby City Council Area Panel 5
Lottery Awards for All
Hanson Environmental Fund
The Derbyshire Environmental Trust
Allestree Memorial Hall
Allestree Bridge Club
Administration
Custodian: Allestree Memorial Hall (Registered Charity no 520400.)

Local authorities:
From WW1: Allestree Parish Council; Belper Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council
From 1968: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation) (Unparished)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
1914: A building of the same size and shape as the present one is labelled "Institute" on the Ordnance Survey plan produced in that year.

Unknown date (before 1924): Maj Sir Herbert Henry Raphael, a former resident of Allestree Hall, is reported to have given the Memorial Hall to the village. (He died in 1924).

May 1949: A proposal to lease a plot of land in Allestree Park seems not to have been progressed.

10th September, 1962: A management scheme was registered with the Charity Commission.

1965: A building of the same size and shape as the present one is labelled "Meml Hall" on the Ordnance Survey plan produced in that year.

September, 1991: The building lies within the Allestree Conservation Area first designated on that date.

2006: The hall was refurbished and extended at a cost of c£22,000 to provide storage, improved toilets and facilities for disabled users.

28th November, 2006: The extensions were opened by Cllr Roy Webb.

13th October, 2007: The memorial was surveyed externally by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.

6th March, 2008: The memorial was surveyed internally by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derby Telegraph; 2nd May 1949; p2: a report on the proposal to lease land in Allestree Park.

Website http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/derbyallestree.htm viewed on 6th June, 2017, included a reference to the donation of the hall.
Comments
The history of the hall is very confusing but it is presumed that it was originally built as a village institute on privately owned land and later transferred to trustees and renamed as a memorial hall.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson