Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Employees of Midland Railway Locomotive Works No 14 Shop

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial plaque to the Employees of the Midland Railway Locomotive Works No 14 Shop now mounted on Platform 1 of Derby Midland Railway Station.
Images

Setting Location Memorial
Locations

Last known location:
Platform 1
Derby Midland Railway Station
Railway Terrace
Litchurch
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 2RU

NGR:
SK 36198 35633 ±5m
Location details:
On a brick wall near the northern end of platform 1.

Previous location:
Bogie Division (Demolished)
Bombardier Transportation
Former Locomotive Works
Railway Terrace
Litchurch
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE24 8PU

NGR:
SK 36457 35335
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
The Bogie Division was located in Nos 7, 8 and 9 Shops of the former Midland Railway Locomotive Works. No 8 shop was demolished and the remaining building split into offices and a workshop with a corridor running between them. The memorial, with others, was mounted on the wall of that corridor. The site has now been redeveloped as Pride Park and the location of the Bogie Division was towards the western end of the current Locomotive Way.

Previous location:
No 14 Shop (Demolished)
Midland Railway
 Locomotive Works
Railway Terrace
Litchurch
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE24 8HS

NGR:
SK 36331 35359
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
The works were next to Derby Midland Station, between Railway Terrace, London Rd and Deadmans La. and it is believed that No 14 Shop was the Pattern Making and Joinery Shop. The area now forms part of the Pride Park development and the site of No 14 Shop is approximately at the southern end of Hudson Way.
Type

Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is well cared for.

Description:

A nowy-headed cast bronze plaque on a wooden backboard. The plaque has a raised decorative border and a wyvern in relief in a roundel at the head. The incised inscription is in upright capital block lettering with the names in a single column. The wooden backboard has a moulded edge.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Bronze 620 370 10 Good
Backboard Wood 690 445 25 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

ROLL OF HONOUR
OF MEN FROM THIS SHOP
WHO SERVED IN H. M. FORCES
DURING THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died  1
Number served and returned 10
Total names 11
T. BLACKSHAW  
E. C. FRANKS   
+ L. B. HUGHES    
V. B. LACKINGTON 
A. J. SALSBURY  
H. S. SELBY    
F. A. SLATER    
W. A. THEOBALD  
C. W. TURNER   
A. G. WATSON   
W. YATES     

+ DIED IN THE SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY

No. 14 SHOP
Administration

Custodian: Presumed to be Bombardier Transportation (as successor to BREL) who arranged for it to be mounted at the station which is owned by Network Rail and Managed by East Midland Trains.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History

1922-23: The memorial would have been procured by the workers of No 14 Shop, probably represented by a small committee or designated representative.

1 January 1923: The Midland Railway became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway and some subsequent reorganisation took place.

1 January 1948: The railway industry was nationalised and assets were transferred to British Railways. Further reorganisations took place subsequently.

1969: The engineering workshops were transferred to British Rail Engineering Ltd (BREL), still part of the nationalised structure.

1988: BREL was split off from the rest of British Rail and was soon sold to Asea Brown Boveri (ABB), subsequently becoming part of Adtranz, a merger of ABB and Daimler-Benz and finally by Bombardier Transportation.

1990: The closure of the Locomotive Works was announced and some demolition began, but Bombardier retained its Bogie Division located in the former Nos 7, 8 and 9 Shops. No 8 Shop was demolished and the remaining building split into offices and a workshop with a corridor running between them. Bombardier staff recovered several memorials from condemned buildings and relocated them on the wall of that corridor.

2004: Bombardier Transportation announced that the Bogie Division was to close. One of the last projects for managers, in conjunction with the Works and Shop Committee, was to have the memorials moved and it was decided that the best place would be on Derby Railway Station where they were affixed on the wall of Platform 1 in December of that year.

22nd December, 2004: A Service of Rededication was conducted by Anne-Louise Hodcroft, an Industrial Mission Chaplain, when several generations of workers from the Derby Locomotive Works and Bombardier Transportation gathered to see the war memorials officially welcomed to their new home.

15th December 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition and well cared for.
References

Michael Fox, former railway works manager, Derby; Pers Comm 27th August, 2015 to 9th September, 2015; three emails providing valuable information regarding the recovery of memorials from the derelict Locomotive Works and their relocation, together with descriptions of the various locations.
Comments

The wyvern is a mythical winged serpent which forms the crest on the Midland Railway's armorial bearings and was widely used by the company as a badge.
Page © Roy Branson