Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Central School for Boys - WW2 (Lost)

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial lectern for the Central School for Boys, originally at Henry Cavendish School, Derby.
Images

Lectern
Locations

Last known location:
Henry Cavendish School
St Andrews View
Breadsall Hilltop
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE21 4ET

NGR:
SK 37310 38229
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
The building was demolished c2007.
Type

Overall type: Furniture.

Overall condition: Lost.

Description:

A wooden lectern in the shape of a desk with a sloping top. The front face has a 75mm deep frieze at the top with carved floral scrollwork continued around the top edge and tapering back at each side. On the front centre face is a 150mm high carving of a centaur facing to its left on a shield. Each side has an incised decorative panel. The inscription and names are incised on the front face.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Lectern Wood c1000 c500 c400 Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE
OLD BOYS OF THE CENTRAL SCHOOL
WHO FELL IN THE WORLD WAR
1939-1945
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 42
Number served and returned  0
Total names 42
N BATCHELOR
A S BENNETT
S M BENTLEY
K H BRAILSFORD
H BUXTON
A CHAMBERS
H COWLEY
H A DOLEMAN
E FITCHETT
J T FROST
R J GARDENER
R E HENSON
K G HODNETT
J HOLLAND
C H HOLLINGSWORTH
G JACKSON
F JOHNSON
R H JOHNSON
E W LABAN
E LANCASTER
D W MACDONALD
L C C MARIEN
H G MEPHAM
A R MERRY
M R MORLEY
A F PUGH
W ROBERTS
C ROGERS
K L ROWLEY
D SLATER
H SMITH
S A SMITH
J T TOPLIS
R E WHEATLEY
A WHEELDON
A WHITBREAD
J E WHITE
S WHITTINGHAM
C R WINTERBOTTOM
G R WOOD
C G WORRALL
L A YOUNG
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
DONATED BY THE OLD CENTAURS ASSOCIATION
Administration

Custodian: Presumed to be the School Governors in association with the Old Centaurs Association.

Local authorities:
From WW2: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation).
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History

29th October, 1958: The Lectern was installed in the Henry Cavendish School, St Andrews View, Derby when the school moved there.

1989: The school name was changed to High View School but remained at St Andrews View.

2007: On occupying new premises on the same site the school was renamed Da Vinci Community School.

5th January 2010: This history was compiled by Eric Naden.
References

Comments

Page © Roy Branson