Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

J G Handford

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial to James Handford comprising an addition to a gravestone in St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard, Boulton, Derby.
Images
Setting Grave Inscription Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard
Boulton La
Boulton-by-Derby
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE24 0GE

NGR:
SK 38378 33051 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
Although Boulton-by-Derby is the historical name, it is today just known as Boulton, and although widely considered to be part of Alvaston it is an ecclesiastical parish in its own right.
The church is on the north side of the road, the gravestone is near the centre of the churchyard, west of the church.
Type
Overall type: Addition to gravestone.


Overall condition: Poor. The inscription is only partly legible.


Description:

Lettering added to a stone on a family grave. Plain oblong white marble kerbstones bear the inlaid inscription in upright capital lettering on the upper face. The maker's mark is on the face of the southeast corner post.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Kerbs White marble 250 910 2125 Poor
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
South kerb:
IN LOVING MEMORY OF [JAMES HANDFORD, WHO DIED 21ST. JULY 1938, AGED 72 YEARS.]
East kerb:
ALSO JAMES G. HANDFORD, THEIR SON
KILLED IN FRANCE DEC. 20. 1916, AGED 26 YEARS.
North kerb:
[...]
West kerb:
"REST IN PEACE."
Corner post:
[BERESFORD]

[Some lettering missing from south kerb; north kerb and corner posts overturned so any inscriptions illegible.]

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Handford family.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Alvaston and Boulton Parish Council; Alvaston and Boulton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From WW2: Alvaston and Boulton Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1960s: Derby County Borough Council.(Unparished);
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council (Unparished); Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History
Unknown date: The memorial was made by J Beresford, monumental mason of Belper, Derby and Carrara.

5th September, 2012: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in poor condition: some lettering was missing from the south kerb, and the north kerb and corner posts were overturned so any inscriptions on them were illegible.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson