Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Borrowash Methodist Churches (Lost)
Images
Setting Tree Caption Eleven further images are held on file, including the names on the ribbons.
Locations
Last known location:
Borrowash Methodist
    Church
Nottingham Rd (A6005)
Borrowash
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3FL

NGR:
SK 41783 34511
(±5m)
Location details:
The church is at the junction with Chapel Row.
Type
Overall type: Tableau


Overall condition: Lost.


Description:

A temporary decorated Christmas tree draped with ribbons incorporating the names of members of the former Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist Churches who fell in WW1. The tree was accompanied by a caption bearing the text in black printed lettering. The memorial was displayed for a few days in mid December 2014 as part of the church's annual Christmas Tree Festival and was subsequently dismantled.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tree Plant material 2500 1500 150 Unknown
Dimensions in millimetres unless stated otherwise, ±5mm.
Inscription
Ribbons: Lest we forget (Names) We will remember them
Caption: The Church's    
    Christmas Tree
Kindly donated by
Collyers Nurseries
This year, in memory of all the men who
are included on the WW1 memorial
tablets at the front of the church, we have
decorated the tree with knitted poppies
and lace doves made by ladies in our
congregation and the banners list the
names of all thirty six men who died

Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 36
Number served and returned  0
Total names 36
Administration
Custodians:
Congregation of Borrowash Methodist Church.
Local Authorities:
Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council, Erewash Borough Council and Derbyshire County Council.
History
December 2014: Made and assembled by members of the Borrowash Methodist Church.

12th December 2014: Surveyed by Roy Branson.
References
-
Comments
The present Methodist Church was formed by the merger of the former Borrowash Primitive Methodist Church and Borrowash Wesleyan Methodist Church. The permanent memorials to the fallen of both churches are in this building.
Page © Roy Branson