heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Borrowash Wesleyan Methodist Church
Images
Setting Whole Inscription
Locations
Last known location:
Borrowash Methodist
    Church
Nottingham Rd (A6005)
Borrowash
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3FL

NGR:
SK 41783 34511
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
In the centre of the north wall.
Type
Overall type: Tablet


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.


Description:

Three alabaster tablets built into the wall. Each tablet comprises a lancet shaped recess bordered by attached columns and all resting on an inverted moulded cornice. The outer two tablets are made up of tiles: that on the left containing an inlaid Christograph at its centre; that on the right an Alpha-Omega monogram. The central tablet bears the inscription and names in upright black capital lettering and has tracery at the head. The whole is supplemented by a hood moulding reflecting the triple arches. All is of polished mottled brown alabaster except the tiles bearing the lettering which are of a paler stone.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet assembly Alabaster, white marble 1650 2400 70 Good
Hood moulding Alabaster 550 3100 70 Good
Dimensions in millimetres unless stated otherwise, ±5mm.
Inscription
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH
WHO DIED IN THE
GREAT WAR, 1914 - 1919.
(Names)
"LEST WE FORGET"


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 24
Number served and returned  0
Total names 24
Administration
Custodian: The church authorities:
Local authorities: Before 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council and later South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.  From 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
12th December, 2014: Surveyed by Roy Branson.
References
-
Comments
The church would have been known as the Wesleyan Methodist Church during WW1 but changed it name to Methodist Church following merger with the nearby Primitive Methodist Church.
Page © Roy Branson