heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Borrowash Primitive Methodist Church
Images
Setting Whole Inscription
Locations
Last known location:
Borrowash Methodist
 Church
Nottingham Rd (A6005)
Borrowash
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3FL

NGR:
SK 41783 34511
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
On the north wall, at the western end.

Previous location:
Borrowash Primitive
  Methodist Church
Victoria Ave
Borrowash
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3HE

NGR:
SK 41721 34687
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
The building was closed and was subsequently used by Derbyshire County Council for Borrowash Library.
Type
Overall type: Plaque


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.


Description:

Originally a nowy headed brass plaque, possibly on a wooden backboard. The plaque has a King's crown at the head above crossed Union Flags superimposed on olive branches. It has a narrow border and an incised inscription in upright capital lettering infilled in black with selected rubricated initials.

Subsequently the plaque has been mounted on an oaken backboard and supplemented by another board mounted below it with a further small brass plaque at its centre and with a shelf at the foot bearing a wooden cross.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass 610 510 2 Good
Backboard Oak 320 655 130 Good
Plaque Brass 70 150 2 Good
Board Oak 650 560 20 Good
Cross Wood 235 190 75 Good
Dimensions in millimetres unless stated otherwise, ±5mm.
Inscription
Upper plaque: THIS TABLET IS ERECTED
IN HONOURED MEMORY OF MEN
ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CHURCH WHO
GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND
COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918.
(Names)
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAN A
MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. JOHN 15. 13. V.

Lower plaque:

THIS MEMORIAL TABLET
WAS FORMERLY IN THE
VICTORIA AVENUE
METHODIST CHURCH


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 12
Number served and returned  0
Total names 12
Administration
Custodian: The church authorities:
Local authorities: Before 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council and later South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.  From 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
Unknown date: The memorial was moved from the Primitive Methodist Church to the Wesleyan Methodist Church.

12th December, 2014: Surveyed by Roy Branson.
References
-
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson