heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Ockbrook VAD Hospital
Images
Building External Plaque Internal Plaque Photograph
Locations
Last known location:
Moravian Lecture Hall
3 The Settlement
Ockbrook
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3RJ

NGR:
SK 42085 36043
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
-
Type
Overall type: Plaque


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A cast iron plaque on the external wall of the building and a brass plaque inside. The external plaque has the emblem of the International Red Cross at top left and a raised inscription in upright capital decorative lettering painted black on a white ground. The internal plaque is oblong and has an incised inscription at the head and names in four columns below, all infilled in black with selected rubricated intials.. The inscription is in uncial capitals and the names are in upright capital block lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Cast iron 150 600 10 Good
Plaque Brass 460 765 2 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
External plaque: THIS BUILDING WAS USED
AS AN AUXILIARY HOSPITAL
DURING THE GREAT WAR. 1914-1919.

Internal plaque:

THIS TABLET WAS GIVEN BY THE COMMITTEE OF THE OCKBROOK AND
BORROWASH RED CROSS SOCIETY IN COMMEMORATION OF THE SERVICES OF
MRS E KING, AND THE OFFICERS & STAFF OF THE V.A.D. HOSPITAL HELD IN
THIS HALL WHICH WAS LENT BY THE MORAVIANS TO THE COMMITTEE TO BE
USED BY THEM AND TO BE UNDER THEIR CONTROL FOR THE BENEFIT
OF WOUNDED BRITISH SOLDIERS DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919
THE FOLLOWING ARE THE NAMES OF THE OFFICERS & STAFF
(Names)


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died  0
Number served and returned 52
Total names 52
Administration
Custodian: The Moravian Settlement
Local authorities: Before 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council and later South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.  From 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
c1919: The brass plaque was made by Hardman and Newhall of Birmingham

1st November, 1919: The brass plaque was unveiled by Bishop Ellis of the Moravian Church.

The hall lies within the Ockbrook Moravian Conservation Area.

8th September, 2012: Building recorded by Roy Branson.

13th September, 2014: Brass plaque recorded by Roy Branson.
References
Moravian Church Archive, A photograph of some of the nurses and their military patients.
Ref OCK/27/19/46, c1918.

Derby Telegraph, 3rd November 1919, p3: An account of the unveiling with a description of the plaque.
Comments
It is believed that the brass plaque was originally mounted on an internal wall of the hall but was removed to facilitate some internal reconstruction. After storage by a member of the Moravian Settlement for several years the plaque was cleaned and temporarily displayed in the hall as part of an exhibition commemorating the centenary of the start of WW1, at which time this report was compiled.
Page © Roy Branson