Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Andrew's Church

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial comprising a porch and accompanying plaque at St Andrew's Church, Stanley, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Plaque Inscription Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Andrew's Church
Station Rd
Stanley
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE7 6FB

NGR:
SK 41926 40414
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church is on the east side of the road in the centre of the village. The porch is around the south door and the plaque is inside, on the east wall.
Type
Overall type: Building.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A church porch of English oak with plaster panels and a tiled roof upon a base of Hollington stone. Inside is an accompanying metal plaque with inscription and names in raised, sentence-case roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Porch Oak, tile, stone c3500 c3500 c3000 Fair
Plaque Metal 300 6300 - Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
THIS PORCH IS ERECTED
To the Glory of God, and in
Grateful and Loving Memory of
Robert Costall. Samuel Holloway,
Arnold Davis. Joseph William James
Thomas Davis. George Hamilton Morgan.
William Durow. Roland Sigley.
who Gave their Lives in the Great War. 1914.1918
R.I.P.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 8 8
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 8 8
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Stanley Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Stanley and Stanley Common Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
1920: The memorial was designed by Rev Dr Scofield, vicar, and constructed by him with the assistance of the parishioners. It was funded entirely by voluntary contributions.

6th February, 1921: The memorial was dedicated by The Rt Rev Edwyn Hoskins, Bishop of Southwell.

10th November, 1967: The church was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1329235.

Unknown date: The memorial lies within the Stanley Conservation Area.

3rd July, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derbyshire Advertiser, 11th February 1921 p 14 col 5: A report on the dedication ceremony.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson