Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Christ Church - WW1

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a pair of WW1 war memorial plaques formerly at Christ Church, Cotmanhay.
Images
Left plaque Right plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Erewash Museum
High St
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE7 5JA

NGR:
SK 46626 41807
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
-

Previous location:
Christ Church
Vicarage St
Cotmanhay
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE7 8QL

NGR:
SK 45994 43746
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
Previously in storage.

Previous location:
Christ Church (Demolished)
Vicarage St
Cotmanhay
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE7 8QL

NGR:
SK 45987 43842
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church was at the junction of Church St and Vicarage Ave. The plaques were In the Baptistry.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A pair of upright oblong brass plaques originally mounted on oak panelling. The plaques have a wide border of twin lines with alternating geometric motifs between them and an inscription in upright capital block lettering coloured black. The oak panelling, now lost, was in two bays at right angles, each three panels wide and two high, with a finely carved frieze at the head, delicate tracery at the head of each panel, and a pair of small carved soldiers or other figures flanking each plaque.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque x 2 Brass 810 610 2 Fair
Panelling Oak c2800 c5000 - Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Left plaque: TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES DURING THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918.
FRANCIS. 6TH EARL ANNESLEY.
ENOCH BAKER.
WILLIAM BAKER.
JAMES BARNETT.
JOSEPH BEARDSLEY.
STANLEY BENNETT.
WILLIAM BOSTOCK.
HORACE BRIGGS.
ARTHUR VILLIERS BROWN.
ALFRED ARTHUR CHRISTIAN.
WILLIAM HERBERT CHRISTIAN.
JOHN CHANTRY.
RICHARD COOPER.
WILLIAM COLLIER.
JOHN ROBERT COX.
GODFREY DAYKIN.
GEORGE SADLER EDWARDS.
JOSEPH ELLIS.
WILLIAM FRETWELL.
JOHN GAMBLE.
ROLAND HAZELL.
JOHN. HALLAM.
THOMAS HAWLEY.
THOMAS HENSON.
ALLEN HENSHAW.
THOMAS HENSHAW.
WALTER HINTON.
GEORGE HITCHCOCK.
FREDERICK HODGKISS.
ALFRED HORRIDGE.
ARTHUR HUNT.
GEORGE IRWIN.
"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A
MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS."

Right plaque: TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES DURING THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918.
EDWARD JEFFERY.
ENOCH JOHNSON.
RICHARD JONES.
EDWARD KAY.
LEONARD KEECH.
WILLIAM KNIGHTON.
LEONARD MARTIN.
WILLIAM MEAKIN.
FRANK IRVING MOORE.
JOHN MOTTRAM.
GILBERT NOON.
GILBERT OLNEY.
WILFRED OLNEY.
ALBERT PRICE.
JOHN THOMAS RIGLEY.
WILLIAM ROLLINSON.
ROBERT SCATTERGOOD.
ERNEST SEVERN.
JOHN HAROLD SHOOTER.
JOSEPH SHOOTER.
WILLIAM SHOOTER.
BEWICK SISSON.
JOHN WILLIAM SMITH.
WALTER STAPLETON.
LEONARD STATHAM.
JOHN SYSON.
JOHN THURMAN.
JAMES THOMAS.
HENRY WEST.
WILLIAM WHEATCROFT.
ERNEST F. WHEATLEY.
WILLIAM WHITEHEAD.
"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A
MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS."

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 64 64
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 64 64
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Erewash Museum.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Ilkeston Parish Council; Ilkeston Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
25th April 1920: The memorial was unveiled by the Ven Archdeacon E Spencer Noakes of Derby.

Early 1980s: The original Christ Church became structurally unsound and was demolished. The plaques were removed from the Baptistry and placed into storage in the new Christ Church but the panelling was lost.

9th May, 2012: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in storage but in fair condition.

June 2013: The plaques were transferred to Erewash Museum.
References
Derby Telegraph, 26th April, 1920, p2: a brief report of the unveiling service.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson