heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
2Lt W S Moult
Images
Window Left light Right light
Locations
Last known location:
St Stephen's Church
Station Rd (B5010)
Borrowash
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3LG

NGR:
SK 41705 34423
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
On the southern wall of the nave.
Type
Overall type: Window


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A two light stained glass window. The two lancet lights each have stone arches and cills and are inserted into a pointed arch opening in the brick wall. Each light contains a depiction of a winged angel in reds, white and blue and each carrying a round shield or plate, the left one bearing a warrior saint and the right one a group of figures. The left light has the badge of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment at the foot, and each light also contains a text within a panel at the head and the dedicatory inscription extends across the foot of both lights. The inscriptions are in upright capital lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Window Stained glass 1590 380 - Good
Window Stained glass 1590 380 - Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Head of
left light:
AND GOD SHALL WIPE
AWAY ALL TEARS FROM
THEIR EYES, AND THERE
SHALL BE NO MORE DEATH

Head of
right light:

NEITHER SORROW NOR
CRYING, NEITHER SHALL
THERE BE ANY MORE PAIN
FOR THE FORMER THINGS ARE
PASS'D AWAY

Foot of
left light:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY
OF 2ND. LIEUT. S. W. MOULT. 2ND. BATT. SHERWOOD FORESTERS.
This window was given by his Mother and Father

Foot of
right light:

WHO WAS KILLED IN ACTION IN FRANCE
SEPTEMBER 15TH 1916 AGED 28 YEARS.
and by his Sister and Brother.

Bottom right
corner:

A. J. DAVIES Fecit 1917
BROMSGROVE GUILD


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 1
Number served and returned 0
Total names 1
Administration
Custodian: -

Local authorities:
After WW1: Ockbrook Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council and later South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
11th March, 2008: An application was submitted to Erewash Borough Council for planning permission to erect coated steel grilles over the window, reference ERE/0308/0019.

6th May, 2008: Planning permission was granted for the grilles. It is not known whether they were installed.

14th September, 2014: Recorded by Roy Branson.
References
Pevsner, Nicolaus, revised by Williamson, Elizabeth; Derbyshire (in the Buildings of England series); Penguin Books 1998; ISBN 0140710086; p102. The window is described as being by A. J Davies in 1917 and "Much above his average".
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson