Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
St Stephen's Church
Images
Setting Memorial Crucifix Images of the inscription are held on file.
Locations
Last known location:
St Stephen's
 Churchyard
Station Rd (B5010)
Borrowash
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE72 3LG

NGR:
SK 41696 34430
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
West of the church.
Type
Overall type: Crucifix


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A canopied crucifix comprising an oaken cross with bronze sculpture mounted on an octagonal sandstone pedestal with chamfered plinth and two sandstone steps. The whole is set in a stone paved area surrounded by a yew and privet hedge. The inscription is incised in upright block capital lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Cross Oak 2050 1250 - Good
Sculpture Bronze - - - Good
Canopy Wood, slate - 1250 - Good
Pedestal Sandstone 535 675 675 Good
Steps Sandstone 305 1480 1480 Good
Paving Stone - 2500 7500 Good
Hedge Yew, privet - 4500 8800 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
6 o'clock face
of pedestal:
IN
GRATEFUL MEMORY
OF
THE HEROIC DEAD
1914 – 1919

Around base
of pedestal:

“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS,
THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.”


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration
Custodian: -
Local authorities: 
After WW1: Ockbrook Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council and later South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Ockbrook and Borrowash Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
2nd October, 1920: The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Derby assisted by Rev R Lethbridge Farmer, rector of Shardlow, and Rev Donald Haseler MA, vicar of Ockbrook.

12th November, 2007: Recorded by Roy Branson.

Summer 2014: The former felt roof to the canopy was replaced by slates.

14th September, 2014: Rerecorded by Roy Branson.
References
Derby Telegraph; 4th October, 1920, p4; An account of the dedication.
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson