Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Borough of Glossop - Warship Week

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: A description of a WW2 war memorial board commemorating Warship Week in All Saints' C of E Church, Old Glossop, Derbyshire.
Images

Setting Board Plaque
Locations

Last known location:
All Saints' Church
Church St
Old Glossop
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK13 7RN

NGR:
SK 14160 94843 ±5m
Location details:
This is the Church of England Parish Church at the eastern end of Church St at the junction with Church St South and Well Gate, and is not to be confused with All Saints' Roman Catholic Church at the western end of the same street. The board is on the west wall of the nave, north of the tower arch.
Type

Overall type: Board.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is well cared for.

Description:

A wall-mounted wooden board bearing a naval emblem and a brass plaque. The board is in the shape of a shield and has chamfered edges. The oval emblem has an anchor and cable superimposed, a latin motto in upright capital roman lettering around the upper half of the perimeter and a naval crown at the head. At the foot of the board an oblong brass plaque bears the incised inscription in upright capital block lettering infilled in black.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Board Wood 820 500 50 Fair
Plaque Brass 60 125 5 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

Board:
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
SIG OFF MAG ADM MAG BRIT
Plaque:
PRESENTED BY
THE LORDS COMMISSIONERS OF THE ADMIRALTY
TO THE BOROUGH OF GLOSSOP
TO COMMEMORATE THE ADOPTION OF
H. M. S. TRUCULENT (P. 315)
DURING WARSHIP WEEK FOR GLOSSOP,
CHARLESWORTH AND CHISWORTH
MARCH 1942
Administration

Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Glossop Parish Council; Glossop Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History

4th December 1958 The church was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1384237

21st August, 1970: The church lies within the Old Glossop Conservation Area first designated on that date.

29th September, 2015: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition although the reredos was obscured by a piece of artwork..
References

Comments

The memorial commemorates the efforts of the civilian population in raising funds for warship week during wartime austerity.
Page © Roy Branson