Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Castleton - WW2

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials:
a description of a WW2 war memorial comprising an arch and lamp with plaques in the Market Place at Castleton.
Images

Setting Arch Left plaque Right plaque
Locations

Last known location:
Road island
Market Place
Castleton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S33 8WQ

NGR:
SK 15016 82801 ±5m
Location details:
At the western tip of the triangular road island at the junction of The Stones, Bargate and Back St.
Type

Overall type: Arch.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A mild steel arch with lamp at the centre and plaques at each side.

The arch comprises two mild steel round posts with foliation around their bases, each surmounting a plain battered mild steel pedestal. Curvilinear strips, in the style of wrought iron, are attached to the upper outer edges and span between the two posts with a lamp suspended at the centre. An oblong metal plaque is attached to the 6 o'clock face of each pedestal bearing the incised inscription in upright capital block lettering. The arch is painted black except for the plaques.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Arch Mild steel 3285 2040 400 Fair
Plaque Metal 435 180 5 Fair
Plaque Metal 435 185 5 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

Left plaque: IN MEMORY
OF ALL THOSE OF
THIS PARISH
WHO LOST THEIR
LIVES IN THIS
COUNTRY'S SERVICE
1939 - 1945

Right plaque: ERECTED WITH
DEEP GRATITUDE
BY THE PEOPLE OF
CASTLETON
1959

REFURBISHED BY
THE PARISH COUNCIL
ON BEHALF OF THE
PEOPLE OF
CASTLETON
2002

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 0
Number served and returned 0
Total names 0
Administration

Custodian: Castleton Parish Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Castleton Parish Council; Chapel en le Frith Rural District Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Castleton Parish Council; High Peak Borough Council and Derbyshire County Council.
History

17th April 1951: the memorial lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date.

1959: The memorial was erected.

23rd January 1976: The memorial lies within the Castleton Conservation Area designated on that date.

2004: The area around the memorial was relandscaped

27th August 2015: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition.
References

Conservation Area Appraisal, Peak District National Park Authority, January 2010.
Comments

Page © Roy Branson