heading
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Derwent Woodlands
Images
Setting Cross Inscription Names
Locations
Last known location:
Roadside
Western Access Road
Derwent
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S33 0AQ

NGR:
SK 18262 88300
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
On the southwestern side of the un-named western access road to Derwent and Howden Dams, about 2km north of the junction with Snake Pass or Snake Rd (A57).


Previous location:
Roadside
Un-named road
Derwent
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S33 0AQ

NGR:
SK 18395 88500
(From online digital mapping)
Location details:
It is believed that the memorial was located near the school at the southern end of the village, on the southeastern side of the junction of the road leading through the village and the lane towards Derwent Hall. It was sited behind a stone wall on a bank. The memorial was dismantled prior to the flooding of the village to create the Ladybower Reservoir about 1940, and was subsequently reconstructed on its new site overlooking the former village.
Type
Overall type: Cross


Overall condition: Good.  The inscription is legible.


Description:

Originally a coarsely dressed sandstone wheel cross on a battered square pedestal with dressed arisses. The inscription panel on the cross shaft, and the name panel on the pedestal, have incised upright capital lettering coloured black.

When relocated the base was replaced by three sandstone steps, dressed on the upper surfaces but roughly dressed at the sides, and surrounded by stone and gravel paving and an ashlar sandstone wall with wrought iron gate.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Cross Sandstone 2460 800 330 Good
Pedestal Sandstone 860 750 750 Good
Base Sandstone 610 2000 2000 Good
Paving Stone, gravel - - - Good
Wall Sandstone 1330 7000 7500 Good
Gate Wrought iron 1150 910 - Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
6 o’clock face of cross shaft: IN
MEMORY
OF
THE MEN OF
DERWENT-
WOODLANDS
WHO FELL
IN THE
GREAT WAR
1914 – 1918

6 o’clock face of pedestal:

PTE. GEORGE COTTRILL
K.R.R.
PTE. ARTHUR DAKIN
NOTTS & DERBY REGT.
CORPL. GEORGE DUNN
YORK & LANCS REGT.
PTE. WILFRED EYRE
YORK & LANCS REGT.
PTE. WALTER HEATHCOTE
YORK & LANCS REGT.
GDS. DAVID KENNEDY
GRENADIER GUARDS.
PTE. JASON PRIESTLEY
NOTTS & DERBY REGT.
GDS. GREGORY THORP
GRENADIER GUARDS.
PTE. JOHN WILSON
NOTTS & DERBY REGT.
DRV. JOHN JOSEPH THORP
R.F.A.


Conflicts and people commemorated
Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 10
Number served and returned  0
Total names 10
Administration
Custodian:
The memorial lies within the catchment of the Ladybower Reservoir, owned by Severn Trent Water Ltd.

Local Authorities:
In the original location, after WW1: Derwent Parish Council; Chapel en le Frith Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council
In the new location, after WW2: Hope Woodlands Parish Council; Chapel en le Frith Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council
Since 1974: Hope Woodlands Parish Council; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
17th April, 1951: The memorial lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date.

17th May, 2010: Surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot.
References
Silent Valley, Vic Hallam, Sheaf Publishing, 1989, ISBN 0950545899, contains an account of the construction of Ladybower Dam, the flooding of Derwent and Ashopton villages and includes, on p20, a photograph of the memorial in its original location.

The Flickr web page contains a photograph of the memorial in its original location.
Comments
-
Page © Roy Branson